• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Two knots worth knowing

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two knots worth knowing

Bowline and Taut Line hitch (#1856). What a wonderful knot the latter is, it's like a little hand that grabs a rope and only slides one way. The former is also highly regarded, but I just use its fixed loop as something to slip a rope through to make a quick attachment to something at one end.

In combination these knots are formidable. At least, for putting up a nice and tight camping washing line quickly. No more granny knots at each end of a sagging line that can't be undone without a knife for me, and the feeling of being watched, if not videoed. Oh no. A professional looking tension adjustable line that can be put up or re-tensioned in seconds beckons on my next washing line adventure, as I've prepared my knots already, and this can be whipped out quickly and put into action in seconds. And taken down just as quickly, for a fast getaway.

Maybe I'm easily pleased.

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Bowline and Taut Line hitch (#1856). What a wonderful knot the latter is, it's like a little hand that grabs a rope and only slides one way. The former is also highly regarded, but I just use its fixed loop as something to slip a rope through to make a quick attachment to something at one end.

In combination these knots are formidable. At least, for putting up a nice and tight camping washing line quickly. No more granny knots at each end of a sagging line that can't be undone without a knife for me, and the feeling of being watched, if not videoed. Oh no. A professional looking tension adjustable line that can be put up or re-tensioned in seconds beckons on my next washing line adventure, as I've prepared my knots already, and this can be whipped out quickly and put into action in seconds. And taken down just as quickly, for a fast getaway.

Maybe I'm easily pleased.
    You are Gricerboy/Threaded and I claim my 5 steam locos.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

I can tie a bowline one handed. The idea being that you can be rescued when you are stranded halfway up a cliff face with a broken arm. The problem is I would be stuffed if I broke my right arm because I can't tie it with my left.

Knots I regularly use while fishing: blood knot, half-blood knot, grinner, water knot, lasso, knotless and palomar.

Comment

Jug knot is a cracker.

Comment

I was watching one of the old Roger Moore Bond movies a few weeks ago and there was a scene where Bond was climbing up a rock face.

As he neared the top, the baddie saw him and started to remove the climbing pegs causing him to 'drop' down the rope and meaning he had to climb up the rope again.

What did he do - undid his shoe laces and made a couple of funky knots which acted like some form of ladder rungs allowing him to climb the rope again.

I've seen this not used before - any idea what it's called.
          (Sorry, my description is not very good).

Comment

prusik loops

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
              You are Gricerboy/Threaded and I claim my 5 steam locos.
              My immediate thought too.
              Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

I find Rhyponol or a taser make the job a little easier as well.
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                  prusik loops
                  That's an impressive knot too. I don't expect I'd ever need to use it in anger, but it is an easy knot to make and remember. Very grippy. I've just tried it with some string on a slippery biro, and under tension it resisted great downward force, but still slid upwards easily when under no tension. The myth busters would have passed (or is it fail?) this one, unlike most James Bond stunts.
                  Prusik - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeHopper View Post
                    I can tie a bowline one handed. The idea being that you can be rescued when you are stranded halfway up a cliff face with a broken arm.
                    I thought it was so you could hang onto the cliff with one (non-broken) arm and tie it with the other hand. So as long as you can switch your holding arm you'll still be OK.

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                    prusik loops
                    Prussiking is great fun. Are you a twice-round or a three-times-round man?

My all-time favourite is the double fisherman's. Tied all my finals papers together with this little beauty:

But I still have great affection for my childhood sweetheart, the Highwayman's Hitch.

Comment

Working...
                    X