• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Other side of the desk

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Other side of the desk

ClientCo is currently hiring for a BA. The rate is crap and they have procured the CVs already. Just piling through them and it's interesting to see the broad state of contractors' CVs at the lower rate end of the spectrum. I am on a panel of 3 reviewing and interviewing.

The common problems are (believe it or not)
    • Poor spelling and typos
    • Poor grammar
    • Poor layout (one cv had no headings and the whole document was in the same size font, no bold or italicised text - gave me a headache trying to scan for important info like dates, roles held etc.
    • Agency cover sheets. (Hard to see where the cover sheet ends and the cv starts. Also spelling mistakes on the cover sheet do not set the scene well, have to consciously put that to one side and try and whittle out the CV)

And in very general terms, just getting the basic information like, what did you do and when. I have lost count the number of times I read this morning "Working on a project that . . . " or "The project was to . . . ". It is good background information but what I need to know at a glance is

What did you do
    When
    What were your successes

Also if you list your skills without a profile or measure of strength it is more difficult to get a feel for where your strengths lie.

This is purely my first impressions of being on the other side of the desk, and I thought they might provide some food for thought for any benchees. I'll prolly get ripped by dodgy agent and the rest of you but this was posted in good faith and I hope it prompts a fruitful discussion.

SY01
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    I hope it prompts a fruitful discussion.
    I'm particularly fond of strawberries, with crème fraîche rather than cream.

Comment

ClientCo is currently hiring for a BA. The rate is crap and they have procured the CVs already. Just piling through them and it's interesting to see the broad state of contractors' CVs at the lower rate end of the spectrum. I am on a panel of 3 reviewing and interviewing.

The common problems are (believe it or not)
      • Poor spelling and typos
      • Poor grammar
      • Poor layout (one cv had no headings and the whole document was in the same size font, no bold or italicised text - gave me a headache trying to scan for important info like dates, roles held etc.
      • Agency cover sheets. (Hard to see where the cover sheet ends and the cv starts. Also spelling mistakes on the cover sheet do not set the scene well, have to consciously put that to one side and try and whittle out the CV)

And in very general terms, just getting the basic information like, what did you do and when. I have lost count the number of times I read this morning "Working on a project that . . . " or "The project was to . . . ". It is good background information but what I need to know at a glance is

What did you do
      When
      What were your successes

Also if you list your skills without a profile or measure of strength it is more difficult to get a feel for where your strengths lie.

This is purely my first impressions of being on the other side of the desk, and I thought they might provide some food for thought for any benchees. I'll prolly get ripped by dodgy agent and the rest of you but this was posted in good faith and I hope it prompts a fruitful discussion.

SY01
      Then why not post it in the Business section of the forum?

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
        Then why not post it in the Business section of the forum?
        Did think of that, but I wanted a more "General" perspective. Also a lot of benchees lurk in general so it might get better coverage.

Now, off you pop.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
          A little sprinkling of well aged balsamic vinegar is a lighter alternative.
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Did think of that, but as I am inherently insecure and am in desperate need of some attention I posted it in Gerneral.

And, yes, I am a
            FTFY.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
              Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
              Don't forget to give a little shake

Comment

At this rate SY01 will be headhunted!

Comment

Well not only are they poorly written CVs they are now no doubt covered in popcorn, greasy fingerprints and the subtle aroma of ammonia.
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                    Black pepper is also nice
                    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Working...
                    X