• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

DAB deader than a dodo?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DAB deader than a dodo?

New Labour's fault?

Grant Goddard has launched a new book, 'DAB Digital Radio: Licensed To Fail, which details why the technology isn't going to be put through its paces in the UK.
    Does any of the congregation have a DAB radio? Are they significantly enough better than the alternatives (FM, internet etc) to be bothered with?

Edit: Truly awful flash site alert - the one in the quoted text
    Last edited by Sysman; 30 September 2010, 12:36.
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Yes, it plays XFM without other stations getting in the way. YOu never get that "can't quite tune in accurately" feeling that FM gives. Radio 7 is good too.

With internet radio you're at the mercy of your internet connection, so if you're doing other downloading or uploading it's liable to cut out.

Comment

Aye, I have a DAB wireless set and I love it.

Where I live in London FM has become near unusable due to pirates.

However, all I have tuned in is Classic FM, Radio 4 and Radio 7.
      How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
      Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

I've got a DAB radio in the car (it also does standard radio), it's part of the standard kit in my Mondeo.

The quality is good unless you hit a dead spot when for obvious reasons it just goes silent, but I wouldn't say it was significantly better than FM at least in a car situation.
        I wouldn't make any special effort to get a DAB radio although there are some DAB only stations I listen to.

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
          Where I live in London FM has become near unusable due to pirates.
          I'd forgotten about pirates. In my Paris days they were my only source of decent radio music, but a decade ago I suffered a Turkish pirate channel. This was particularly annoying when I wanted an early night with a local station to drift off to.
          Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

We have one in every room and I have a small one I take away with me, so I can listen to 6 music.
            I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
            CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
            CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

I think most people probably listen to the radio in the car, although I also listen to it in the kitchen via a wireless internet radio (Pinnacle Soundbridge). If there are DAB reception problems when driving along, that sounds like a non-starter to me.

In the USA you can now also get a satellite radio called XM in your car. I used this recently and was great for large open spaces and not ever having to retune it. Only problem is I think it is a subscription pay service. Reception was never a problem, unless you drove through a tunnel blocking out the microwaves.

Comment

The very first thing I did with my car was have a DAB radio fitted. I like rock music and there is nothing on normal FM - well not until recently! With the amount of commuting I tend to do there was no way I could stand to listen to the FM stations since all of them play essentailly the same old tulipe with tosser DJ's. I've had a DAB radio in my cars for about 8 years now. The one I have at the moment also plays MP3 CD's so you can fill an 800mb CD with MP3's - A few 12 pence CD's in the car contains a whole heap of music and when they get scratched I just make another copy. For this contract I've bought a tulip car that I leave down south for my jaunt up to the station and back. I miss my DAB radio!

Unfortunately it won't take off though! The recpetion is fine for the BBC stations - the only one I use is 5 Live and for those on the same group as talk Sport, Absolute and Planet Rock. I can't really get the other reliably - lucky I like Planet Rock then!
                Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

When it works, it is brilliant. More stations, better quality. But since you get the channels on Freeview/satellite/internet too it's not that useful at home and I think it's a bit flaky for on the move? Certainly some people have a big vendetta against it as 'useless' but I never quite saw why...
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I wouldn't call it flaky on the move in general, but there are several dead spots I'm aware of around Halifax and a couple on the A404M near the M4, the dead spots have good FM recemption so I'd guess it's a lack of DAB transmitters.

I do like the DAB, but not enough that I'd make a special effort to get another one.

Comment

Working...
                    X