• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Police talks continue with man on Birmingham bridge

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Police are still negotiating with a man standing on railings on a Birmingham bridge after being called more than 20 hours ago.

Officers were called to a bridge above Paradise Circus near the central library at about 1555 BST on Wednesday.

Police said they had no idea about how long it could be before they could bring the situation to a conclusion.

There have been long delays for drivers on all approaches to the Paradise Circus junction.
    'Safe conclusion'

There were also major problems at 1000 BST on the Aston Expressway going back to Spaghetti Junction.

Paradise Circus from Great Charles Street Queensway and Queensway Tunnel at Newhall Street were closed. Paradise Forum was shut to pedestrians.

Earlier, Ch Insp Sean Russell, from West Midlands Police, said that negotiators had been talking to the man all night.

The plan at the end is to bring him out safely”

Chief Inspector Sean Russell

Asked by the BBC if he had any inclination about how much longer it could be before police could bring it to a conclusion, he added: "We have no idea currently.

"But what we would like to do is bring it to a safe conclusion as quickly as possible.

"The plan at the end is to bring him out safely and we want to do that.

"Now that may take a little while and we are committed to ensuring that that person is safe, but also members of the public are safe too."

Ch Insp Russell said he could understand the frustration of people, but for the safety of the person, passers-by, pedestrians and vehicles, police "have to ensure that this is brought to a safe conclusion".

Roads were sealed off in order to prevent an accident.

On Wednesday afternoon queues went back to the Aston Expressway and also Holloway Circus.

Source: BBC News - Police talks continue with man on Birmingham bridge

---

Oh for fooks sake this explains terrible local traffic yesterday AND today

Are you using your iPhone to post on here then?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
      Are you using your iPhone to post on here then?
      No, I am in the office now - stayed at home until lunch time, did not know it was that reason for bad traffic yesterday - I managed to avoid it using my superior knowledge ...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        No, I am in the office now - stayed at home until lunch time, did not know it was that reason for bad traffic yesterday - I managed to avoid it by following the diversion signs
        FTFY

Comment

Paradise Circus

possibly the least appropriately named place in the world.

(the BBC image file name isn't great either!)

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            No, I am in the office now - stayed at home until lunch time, did not know it was that reason for bad traffic yesterday - I managed to avoid it using my superior knowledge ...
            Whoooooooooooooosssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

If I'd been stuck in a jam for hours, I would have found somewhere nearby to shout and tell him to flipping do one and jump...selfish eejit!!!

It happened outside New St a couple of years ago, and on the M6 nearby as well before that...does this only happen in Birmingham?

Comment

Originally posted by Muttley08 View Post
                If I'd been stuck in a jam for hours, I would have found somewhere nearby to shout and tell him to flipping do one and jump...selfish eejit!!!
                There was very long queue of cars stretching to M6 who wanted to do just that...

Apparently he finally got arrested just few hours ago.

Comment

This guy is going to be sued:

Failed suicide driver who smashed car into shopping centre sued for damage | Mail Online

Comment

Stick a big inflatable under the bridge then shove him off and catch him on the bounce.
                    Gronda Gronda

Comment

Working...
                    X