• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sunday Evening Drama

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sunday Evening Drama

I think I may have lamented the passing of quality Sunday evening drama on the BBC in a previous thread but never really elaborated on what the genre meant to me.

I say genre because I think it is a genre in the sense that it's largely comedy drama that is free of the gritty realism and tokenism found in the bulk of drama pumped out through our screens these days. The exception to this would be the crime based dramas which could hardly be described as comedy drama but all seem to possess a certain charm whether it's the surreal rural idyll in which Inspector Barnaby conducts his business or the proptastic Morse with his vintage Daimler.

I've been enjoying Sunday evening drama for many years, harking back to
    the era of Owen MD and All Creatures Great And Small. My all time favourite has to be Lovejoy. Loved the character, loved the subject matter, thought the plots were great and enjoyed the wonderful settings in which the shows were filmed. I also love the Midsomer Murders and, as regular readers of my posts will know, am currently discovering a wonderful series by the name of Monarch Of The Glen thanks to ITV3.

What the future holds for the genre, I don't really know. ITV still produce some good output. The Murders is still running, though it's a shame John Nettles is leaving and Lewis is making a good fist of carrying the mantel for Morse. The BBC, on the other hand, is too obsessed with appealing to the lowest common denominator and tokenism so COME ON BBC, DITCH YOUR DIVERSITY COMMISSARS and let's have another Ballykissangel. IT'S NO LESS THAN THE LICENCE PAYING PUBLIC DESERVE.
    Last edited by gricerboy; 30 September 2010, 21:27.

Telly on a Sunday night? Never watch it.

Either:
    a) I'm down the pub, or
    b) I've been down the pub, come home, and fallen asleep.
    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Sunday night TV reminds me of the dreaded Sunday feeling before going back to school on a Monday. Only prgrammes I tend to watch these days are the police ones where they are in the high powered cars, interceptors or something. Nothing like seeing some chavs get whacked I would comment on the rest of your post but it was a bit long...

Comment

Originally posted by administrator View Post
        I would comment on the rest of your post but it was a bit long...
        Yes I know! But I did at least break it up into paragraphs as readers of my posts have previously requested.

Comment

Originally posted by gricerboy View Post
          Yes I know! But I did at least break it up into paragraphs as readers of my posts have previously requested.
          Why not try further segmenting it into, say, bi-annual events which would be much easier to circumvent for those of us who don't give a toss?

HTH
          “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Bring back 'One Man and his Dog'!
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Anyone remember Shillingbury Tales? Starred Diane Keen IIRC.

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                Why not try further segmenting it into, say, bi-annual events which would be much easier to circumvent for those of us who don't give a toss?

HTH

Comment

Just watch a film, lots of them on Sunday night.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by administrator View Post
                    Sunday night TV reminds me of the dreaded Sunday feeling before going back to school on a Monday.
                    almost WHS

For me Sunday night telly feels like your being mentally anaesthetised ready for Monday morning and going back to work
                    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
                    X