• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

6 monthly rolling contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6 monthly rolling contract

I hate rolling contracts I much prefer to have a set end date that I can work to but it seems I'm seeing more and more of these lately!!

I've seen a job to apply for thats a 6 month rolling contract, has anyone had one of these what would be the notice period on a 6 month rolling contract? I've had a weekly rolling contract and it was a week notice, and I have known people on month rolling and its been a month, a 6 month rolling would not be 6 months would it!?! I assume it would be a month also? Anyone had one to confirm?

Originally posted by curtis View Post
    I hate rolling contracts I much prefer to have a set end date that I can work to but it seems I'm seeing more and more of these lately!!

I've seen a job to apply for thats a 6 month rolling contract, has anyone had one of these what would be the notice period on a 6 month rolling contract? I've had a weekly rolling contract and it was a week notice, and I have known people on month rolling and its been a month, a 6 month rolling would not be 6 months would it!?! I assume it would be a month also? Anyone had one to confirm?
    Read the contract, about notice periods.
    Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

I don't have a contract its one I've seen that I may apply for like I said at the start. I just wanted to know what it would be, on a contract like this from maybe someone who had had one and knew.

Comment

6 months notices are for permies. IR35 will not like this at all.
        1 month notice is for permies. IR35 not that much of an issue.
        1 week.. thats a bit more like it. You are starting to sound like a contractor
        Less than a week no unheard of.

At the end of the day no work = no pay so effectively if the client wants rid regardless of notice period he can end your payments next day.

Also.. Treat the 6 month rolling is the same as 6 months. Don't gamble on the rolling and don't take it in to account. To you it is a 6 month contract and you have the end date you yearn for. If he renews then great, quids in and you have another end date. If he doesn't then the contract has come to a natural end. I am hoping that the rolling bit is not mentioned in your contract! It is a pedantic point but I just treat a rolling as a lucky renewal and each 6 months is dealt with on it's own merits so answering your question about notice periods.

If the client has a 6 month rolling mindset be doubly sure to make sure you negotiate your working conditions out of IR35. To him 6 months rolling is possibly a budgetry requirement imposed by his accounts. He might have it mind that you are his for the foreseeable future and treat you like a disguised permie.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          6 months notices are for permies. IR35 will not like this at all.
          1 month notice is for permies. IR35 not that much of an issue.
          1 week.. thats a bit more like it. You are starting to sound like a contractor
          Less than a week no unheard of.

At the end of the day no work = no pay so effectively if the client wants rid regardless of notice period he can end your payments next day.

Also.. Treat the 6 month rolling is the same as 6 months. Don't gamble on the rolling and don't take it in to account. To you it is a 6 month contract and you have the end date you yearn for. If he renews then great, quids in and you have another end date. If he doesn't then the contract has come to a natural end. I am hoping that the rolling bit is not mentioned in your contract! It is a pedantic point but I just treat a rolling as a lucky renewal and each 6 months is dealt with on it's own merits so answering your question about notice periods.

If the client has a 6 month rolling mindset be doubly sure to make sure you negotiate your working conditions out of IR35. To him 6 months rolling is possibly a budgetry requirement imposed by his accounts. He might have it mind that you are his for the foreseeable future and treat you like a disguised permie.

A 6 month rolling contract, just means there is more than 6 months work there, and that someone will ring up after 5 months to ask if they can extend your contract.

No work = no pay.

A contract is only as long as its notice period, but ultimately, if you don't work that notice period, you'll not be paid.

Sounds like the kind of gig that could run for a while though - nice.
          "Being a permy is like being married, when there's no more sex on the cards....and she's got fat."
          SlimRick

Can't argue with that

Comment

I understand the no work no pay thing but thats not what I'm asking, I know any notice period is bad for IR35 and a notice period on the side of the client is basically meaningless etc etc. Its just most contracts have a notice period, what I'm asking from people who may have had one what it would be on a 6 month rolling. For example if after 4 months I want to leave what notice would I have to give.

On the basis of a weekly rolling I had a weeks notice and a monthly a month surely a 6 monthly would not be 6 months! A long term contract sounds great but not if you hate it so always like to know my notice just in case I need it.

Comment

I don't think 6 months notice would be enforceable to a permie, would it?
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Its just most contracts have a notice period, what I'm asking from people who may have had one what it would be on a 6 month rolling. For example if after 4 months I want to leave what notice would I have to give.
                It depends on what your contract says.

On the basis of a weekly rolling I had a weeks notice ....
                So presumably that contract had a notice period of a week.

I think that what everyone is trying to say is you might have a 6 month contract with a 1 week each way notice period, you might have the end client being able to give 1 week and you not being able to give notice (ie you need to work the whole contract) etc etc. It all depends on what the wording of the contract is. Of course the end client is not obliged to give you any work, and you're not obliged to take it unless your contract says otherwise (bad for IR35).
                And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  I don't think 6 months notice would be enforceable to a permie, would it?
                  Ah yes you are right, I was thinking the 3 monther that senior positions often get. Even at that very few people have to wait the 3 months regardless of which side invoked it but that is another topic.

Comment

Originally posted by The Agents View View Post
                    A 6 month rolling contract, just means there is more than 6 months work there, and that someone will ring up after 5 months to ask if they can extend your contract.
                    I said that

No work = no pay.
                    I said that
                    A contract is only as long as its notice period, but ultimately, if you don't work that notice period, you'll not be paid.
                    Eh?? If the notice period is 1 week then the contract is only 1 week? That don't make sense to me.

Typical agent using everyone elses work to make an easy living

Comment

Working...
                    X