• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Trust funds - help

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trust funds - help

Does anyone have any experience of trust funds ?
    I was executor of a will and have some money to give to a ten and a nine year old. Is there such a thing as a trust fund/account ?
    what are the pitfalls

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    Does anyone have any experience of trust funds ?
    I was executor of a will and have some money to give to a ten and a nine year old. Is there such a thing as a trust fund/account ?
    what are the pitfalls

There are different trust funds available. The government in it's wisdom has been paying out £250 per child 'trust fund' vouchers on birth. We top up the funds by £20 per month, but frankly the return has been in terrible and in my daughters case is worth less than we started with.

An independent IFA may have more options.

Personally I recommend the 5 year Yorkshire savings bond for children (Child Savings Bond - Savings - Personal Banking - Yorkshire Bank)

It was 5% Gross, then 4.45%. I see here that they have dropped it again in the last week to 4%. For a child the savings are tax free.

Dependent on the amount I would consider a longterm bond, some premium bonds and something with an IFA. Avoid the high street banks.

Savings for children are an absolute joke and I've been sitting here toying with the idea of a 'childrens building society' for about a year. Pity I know bugger all about starting a building society.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

An IFA sounds like the best option here. The thing about what you are considering is that the money can be locked away for a few years, and IFA's ought to be able to advise what the best options are. No harm in asking - whilst they will charge for advice you could ask whether it might be something they would be happy to give advice on, and what cost.

Comment

Originally posted by Saddo View Post
        An IFA sounds like the best option here. The thing about what you are considering is that the money can be locked away for a few years, and IFA's ought to be able to advise what the best options are. No harm in asking - whilst they will charge for advice you could ask whether it might be something they would be happy to give advice on, and what cost.
        I know that you are trying to be helpful, but please read the op.

If I wanted to speak to a snakeoil salesman, turd-eating, fckwit son of a camel, sh!t-kicking tosspot, then I would consider an IFA.

What I really want (which, coincidentally, is why I mentioned it) is to find out if anyone here has experience of this.

I mean, what is a trust fund, are they policed ? who polices them. whats to stop a dodgy parent absconding with all the loot

etc

(\__/)
        (>'.'<)

Comment

whats to stop a dodgy parent absconding with all the loot

etc

That would be my advice.
          Abscond with the wonga making sure they know that you blew it on wine, women, and the new pink Everton Shirt.
          It will be a life lesson on not trusting any fooker. And let's face it, in 21st Century Britain that will be worth far more than any free handout of cash will ever be to them.

PS You don't have to pay me any cash for this tip, but if you PM me, I'll let you know where to send me a bottle of decent Malt for my sage advice.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
            That would be my advice.
            Abscond with the wonga making sure they know that you blew it on wine, women, and the new pink Everton Shirt.
            It will be a life lesson on not trusting any fooker. And let's face it, in 21st Century Britain that will be worth far more than any free handout of cash will ever be to them.

PS You don't have to pay me any cash for this tip, but if you PM me, I'll let you know where to send me a bottle of decent Malt for my sage advice.

shut it, klunge sponge

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)

Comment

I know that you are trying to be helpful, but please read the op.

If I wanted to speak to a snakeoil salesman, turd-eating, fckwit son of a camel, sh!t-kicking tosspot, then I would consider an IFA.

What I really want (which, coincidentally, is why I mentioned it) is to find out if anyone here has experience of this.

I mean, what is a trust fund, are they policed ? who polices them. whats to stop a dodgy parent absconding with all the loot

etc

You can start a trust on your own. Effectively a limited company with board of directors. Bung the money in there, charge a 5% admin fee (to cover accountants fees) and then the company can invest the money. Transfer the shares to the kid/kids when old enough and job done.
              Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

shut it, klunge sponge

Wasn't remotely funny even first time round.

HTH
                “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Dont know much about trusts apart from what i have read regarding dodgy IR35 schemes

You would setup a trust and you would probably be the trustee of the trust?

google 'Trusts for vulnerable beneficiaries'

Comment

Originally posted by Iron Condor View Post
                    Dont know much about trusts apart from what i have read regarding dodgy IR35 schemes

You would setup a trust and you would probably be the trustee of the trust?

google 'Trusts for vulnerable beneficiaries'
                    aye. Ive done that. It seems to be a massive grey area. everyone knows what a trust fund is, but noone can define a trust fund.

(\__/)
                    (>'.'<)

Comment

Working...
                    X