PDA

View Full Version : Is it really this good?!

whoolio
3rd October 2010, 03:30
So I go to the umbrella calculator 400 pound/day, 25 weeks a year, fees etc. This gives me a net income of over 45,000 pound? (sorry no pound sign here in Cambodia!). So in one year you guys can work for six months and the other six months chill, travel the world, sleep etc?!? I must be missing something. Life cannot be this good for you guys!?

MarillionFan
3rd October 2010, 08:13
So I go to the umbrella calculator 400 pound/day, 25 weeks a year, fees etc. This gives me a net income of over 45,000 pound? (sorry no pound sign here in Cambodia!). So in one year you guys can work for six months and the other six months chill, travel the world, sleep etc?!? I must be missing something. Life cannot be this good for you guys!?

Seems a little high. Probably closer to £37-£39k if you don't mess around with some dodgy umbrella company.

Who are you and what are you doing in Cambodia? That would be a lot of money in Cambodia, you could clear up in the false leg market.

MarillionFan
3rd October 2010, 09:44
http://images.memegenerator.net/Spartacus/ImageMacro/2897126/Do-you-like-films-about-Gladiators.jpg

EternalOptimist
3rd October 2010, 09:51
Welcome whoolio. its not a bad life, providing you like beer and curries and ladies in short skirts.

How comes you have a mexican name by the way ? shouldnt you be Sopham, or munny or something ?

:rolleyes:

Doggy Styles
3rd October 2010, 10:07
How comes you have a mexican name by the way ? shouldnt you be Sopham, or munny or something ?Wasn't Cambodia part of the Mexican empire? Sancho Panza and all that? I'm no expert though.

Clippy
3rd October 2010, 10:50
Whoolio

Can you help?

We seem to have 'lost' three of our finest TV broadcasters in your country.

Have you seen them perchance?

They went on a Busmans holiday and haven't been seen since.

http://media.tiscali.co.uk/images/ch/tv/library/shows/top-gear-vietnam-special/288x269/img_53919_288x269_1.jpg

thunderlizard
3rd October 2010, 13:50
I would agree that £45,000 personal income from 1 person billing £400'day is slightly too optimistic. It probably assumes you don't have any other expense e.g. software licenses, legal advice fees, phone, travel, which in reality would probably cost a contractor about £5,000/year on average. It also assumes you intend to leach all the cash out of the company all the time, which isn't a great way to run a business.

But basically yes, after you've been at it for a few years you can regularly take several months off without having to eat your own shoes. You probably won't be able to live like a king on your off-time, and the other thing is it's hard to plan when your contracts are going to be and how long they will take.

northernladuk
3rd October 2010, 14:08
This has gotta to be the worst troll post I have seen for awhile. Cambodia? Perlease....

MarillionFan
3rd October 2010, 14:16
This has gotta to be the worst troll post I have seen for awhile. Cambodia? Perlease....

I've posted on CUK while in Cambodia.

HairyArsedBloke
3rd October 2010, 14:20

Sorry, I'll try and think of a better one next time. :emb

EternalOptimist
3rd October 2010, 16:39
Sorry, I'll try and think of a better one next time. :emb

sorry about the short skirts quip. I meant , er... muscly guys in lederhosen

:rolleyes:

Doggy Styles
3rd October 2010, 16:46
Sorry, I was thinking of Colombia.

shaunbhoy
3rd October 2010, 18:21
I've posted on CUK while in Cambodia.

So has Gary Glitter!!

HTH

Doggy Styles
3rd October 2010, 20:52
Sorry I was thinking of Cortez, not Panza.

EternalOptimist
4th October 2010, 01:29
Sorry I was thinking of Cortez, not Panza.
:eyes

whoolio
6th October 2010, 03:24
woah these boards are so active I had to spend 5 mins searching this post!

I am actually from england on a gapyear. Coming home soon :( Looking to go self employed but want to do a junior permie role first to get more experience.

Haha I am not mexican! My name and Cambodia are completely unrelated!

Saddo
6th October 2010, 07:15
Looking to go self employed but want to do a junior permie role first to get more experience

Self-employed isn't necessarily contracting in the way that you might be thinking.

As an IT consultant you ARE employed - by a Limited company which you happen to be in control of. If the crap hits the fan then the Limited company takes the hit - not you personally (unless you have acted fraudulently in which case the Limited company protection can be removed).

Self-employed is where you do your thing but haven't got the Limited company protecting you. Hairdressers and handymen etc might fall into that camp. If they chop someone's ear off or bring a house down whilst delivering their service then their personal assets are up for grabs.