• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

"and how are you finding the market?..."

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"and how are you finding the market?..."

I cringe when I hear this question (I suppose I should be grateful that I'm still getting agents' calls though). Almost always it's a thinly-disguised fishing exercise.
    Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Originally posted by MrMark View Post
    I cringe when I hear this question (I suppose I should be grateful that I'm still getting agents' calls though). Almost always it's a thinly-disguised fishing exercise.
    It is, but then aren't we fishing when we speak to agents? I find it best to conduct the dance with grace and decorum, even if it takes palce in a low-rent LA S & M club, and I'm the b1tch on a leash.

Comment

I always thought it was to find out if a) You've been sat at home for 12 months i.e useless or b) You've continued to get work despite the difficult conditions i.e good at what you do.

I always make out I've been busy throughout. <itchy chin>
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
        It is, but then aren't we fishing when we speak to agents? I find it best to conduct the dance with grace and decorum, even if it takes palce in a low-rent LA S & M club, and I'm the b1tch on a leash.
        I agree.
        Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
        +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

I had that one last week.
          Today I've had "got any interviews lined up?"

The agent had a genuine role though, gave me the client name and location, and even put me forward at my asking rate that was £150 higher than the upper limit on the advert (was stupidly low to start with though)

Comment

Someone should tell agents I am not going to call them back when they leave a mesage saying they have 'a couple of roles they would like to run past me'.

I don't know how any of them actually make a living.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
              Someone should tell agents I am not going to call them back when they leave a mesage saying they have 'a couple of roles they would like to run past me'.

I don't know how any of them actually make a living.
              How come?
              Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
              +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Working...
              X