• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

FT: Migrants give boost to public finances

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FT: Migrants give boost to public finances

Two pieces in the FT today.

Number of foreign workers rises

British business has continued to hire more foreign workers during the downturn even as the number of UK-born people in jobs has dropped sharply, analysis by the Financial Times shows.
    Migrants give boost to public finances

A study by Christian Dustmann, head of the centre for research and analysis on migration at University College London, supports the claim that immigrants – at least those who come to the UK to work – put more into the economy than they take out.

In the year to April 2009 workers from eastern Europe paid £1.37 in taxes for every £1 of services they used, Mr Dustmann found. That compared to an 80p contribution from native Britons.

“There is no evidence that migrants are a drain on public services, rather the opposite,” Mr Dustmann said.
    However, right at the end of the second piece is an interesting quote.

And there is evidence of at least one industry where foreign arrivals are taking the jobs of skilled local workers: the IT sector. British contractors have bemoaned the fact that Indian technology companies appear to be getting around immigration rules by using so-called intra-company transfers to bring in staff who undercut them on price.

There is an argument, and quite a convincing one, that these Indian workers are displacing local people,” a government adviser said.
    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Is this convincing study along the lines of the Home Office one in 2001? The one that did not take account of a single downside, like the money migrants send abroad, or even the cost of the Immigration dept?
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

But then they have to spend that extra on huge immigration problems/extra paperwork and processes and then they have to pump this money they make back in to trying to pamper to the migrants for example, the 1Mil they have put aside to try and get migrants in to National Parks as per a thread the other day. I would guess it pretty much cancels that out and as mentioned they put a lot less back in to the economy via shopping/tourism/visiting etc.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
        FTFY.
        LOL. thanks but I am sure it is just one of many many expensive projects to integrate with no return for the country..
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Found this one in the 'Wail' (I dont buy it honest guv )

Pay up front: Tory MP urges migrants to shell out £5,000 to use public services before they are given visas

I guess it would be both a fix for the unseen and undocumented costs, plus a deterrent for those who don't want to contribute.

Comment

saw a piece on one of those police catch crooks programs

some arse hole from eastern europe was pinching charity bags, luckily plod managed to catch him
            unfortunately he never turned up for his court case and had likely slipped back to poland or wherever

so when they say they do the jobs that no one else will do they include stooping to stealing charity bags

i get the feeling they can commit whatever crime they like here and just f off back home if they get nabbed or look like getting nabbed.

judging by crimewatch photofits of the most wanted (80 % seemed to have came from outwith the uk to commit crimne)

Comment

Indeed. Most of the fake clothes collection charities are by Eastern European migrants. You aren't supposed to mention it though, shame on you!! Repeat after me:

All migrants good!
              All white British racist!
              All migrants good!

How charity clothes line Lithuanian pockets - Telegraph
              bloggoth

John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Actually, I think the term Eastern European is probably unfair on Poles and Hungarians who I can believe probably are a net asset and in a decade or two it might well be a reciprocal arrangement as those countries will rise quickly. It is the recent admission countries who are the problem. Lithuania, Estonia, Slovakia and Latvia seem to crop up over and over again. Their admission to the EU was a total mistake.

PS Rather like the term "Asian" is unfair on Hindus and Sikhs or "black" on Kenyans and East Africans. Problems do not come with continent or colour but with specific national cultures.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7001768.stm
                Last edited by xoggoth; 4 October 2010, 17:55.
                bloggoth

Comment

Working...
                X