• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Human Genome and evolution

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Human Genome and evolution

I was reading a magazine article last week about the genome.
    Apparently all of the known functions that create a human account for a small fraction of the dna, and no one knows what the rest is for. yet.

One of the working theories is that part of the unknown dna is used for enviromentaly driven evolution, which seems to go against the orthodox view on how evolution works.

for example, if enviromental evolution is true, a skinny guy who comes from a skinny line, then becomes a blacksmith, he could father boys with big muscly bodies.

interesting

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    I was reading a magazine article last week about the genome.
    Apparently all of the known functions that create a human account for a small fraction of the dna, and no one knows what the rest is for. yet.

One of the working theories is that part of the unknown dna is used for enviromentaly driven evolution, which seems to go against the orthodox view on how evolution works.

for example, if enviromental evolution is true, a skinny guy who comes from a skinny line, then becomes a blacksmith, he could father boys with big muscly bodies.

interesting

It won't matter - with the use of IVF (& in particular the direct injection of the male sperm into the egg procedure) we are stopping those environmental factors affecting reproduction
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
      It won't matter - with the use of IVF (& in particular the direct injection of the male sperm into the egg procedure) we are stopping those environmental factors affecting reproduction
      I think the point is that the sperm you produce when you are pre-blacksmith, is different from that produced when you are a musclebound blacksmith. ie your environment has caused you to evolve

(\__/)
      (>'.'<)

Comment

I think the point is that the sperm you produce when you are pre-blacksmith, is different from that produced when you are a musclebound blacksmith. ie your environment has caused you to evolve
        In evolutionary terms - only if those muscular racing tadpoles were more energetic little critters than their weedy counterparts -would they be more succesful in a home run.
        You are removing that challenge with IVF & assuming that all tadpoles that are fired out of the cannon are created equal
        How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

I think this is possible.
          Family I know, father worked in a factory that damaged his hearing. Children born before he worked in factory ok, thoes born after have hearing problems.
          Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
            In evolutionary terms - only if those muscular racing tadpoles were more energetic little critters than their weedy counterparts -would they be more succesful in a home run.
            You are removing that challenge with IVF & assuming that all tadpoles that are fired out of the cannon are created equal
            why do you mention IVF ?
            (\__/)
            (>'.'<)

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
              I think this is possible.
              Family I know, father worked in a factory that damaged his hearing. Children born before he worked in factory ok, thoes born after have hearing problems.
              interesting. almost spooky in a way.
              It sort of opens up a whole new avenue of thinking

(\__/)
              (>'.'<)

Comment

interesting. almost spooky in a way.
                It sort of opens up a whole new avenue of thinking

So if I have good day at the bookies and then knock up the wife I'm guaranteed a born winner.

Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Was the magazine called Lamarckism monthly?

Imagine how difficult it would be to code environmental factors into DNA. The DNA would have to understand itself, and if it got too clever might decide it best that the blacksmith's son were born a bacteria. 3 arms at the very least.

Comment

It's true.

First kid is white and pastey looking just lke I am. The second one conceived about the time the wife went to Greece with the girls has much darker skin and looks positively mediterranean.

(this isn't true of course.)

Comment

Working...
                    X