• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Does the type of car you drive have any influence on your contract business success?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does the type of car you drive have any influence on your contract business success?

Well I need a new car, and am trying to make up my mind as to what to buy.
    Personally I would be happy with an el-cheapo Astra or Golf, but friends have suggested that it is worth getting something a little classy as it would convey the image to clients (and prospective clients at interview) that I am a man of substance who can afford a decent car, and must therefore be worth giving or continuing to give business to.

I don't think this is very likely to be the case - in my experience clients are only interested in how well you do the job, not on any fluff like this. But I thought I'd throw the question open to you guys and girls who might have any opinion or observations on the matter.

i.e. is there a "business case" for getting a smarter car. What type, and what are the numbers?

Ta very much.

BTW I need a new car cos I wrapped the last one around a tree. But that's another story.
    Last edited by KentPhilip; 4 October 2010, 14:26.

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
    Well I need a new car, and am trying to make up my mind as to what to buy.
    Personally I would be happy with an el-cheapo Astra or Golf, but friends have suggested that it is worth getting something a little classy as it would convey the image to the client that I am a man of substance who can afford a decent car, and must therefore be worth giving or continuing to give business to.
    I don't think this is very likely to be the case - clients are only interested in how well you do the job, not on any fluff like this. But I thought I'd throw the question open to you guys and girls who might have any opinion or observations on the matter. i.e. is there a "business case" for getting a smarter car. What type, and what are the numbers?

Ta very much.
    I don't think a client has ever know what car I drive.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
      I don't think a client has ever know what car I drive.
      I am hoping the answer is yes as I am looking for an excuse or should I say 'business justification' to buy something nice
      "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

How will the client know what car you drive?

Do you list it on your CV?

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
          I am hoping the answer is yes as I am looking for an excuse or should I say 'business justification' to buy something nice
          The answer is no. It will just enrage the permies and make them demand a pay rise.

Be a man and buy the car that your wife tells you to.

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
            How will the client know what car you drive?

Do you list it on your CV?
            Yes, under the heading Achievements.

HTH

Comment

I doubt you're seeing the number of prospects that would make it worthwhile. It might make 10% of the difference 10% of the time. Most office layouts are such that the person you meet inside the building wouldn't get to see your car anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                Yes, under the heading Achievements.

HTH
                But I thought you drove a BMW?

Comment

Get Passat...

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                    Never drive a better car than the guy who's engaging you.

i.e. don't park the 996 next to the M.D.'s astramax van.
                    Many years ago one of the young contractors at a gig bought himself a second hand Lotus Elite or Elan (the sloppy one). Shinny red one that nobody could miss. The stupid idiot kept trying to park close to the office, but he was always been told to move it by permies complaining about contractor parking in 'their' spaces. i.e. not in the bit of the car park where the local chavs used to vandalise the cars or break into them.

Oddly enough, when the cul of contractors came - he was the first person that was told he was going.
                    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Working...
                    X