• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Penal Reform

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Penal Reform

After yesterday's post on Child Benefit I am not sure I should post this...

Tory Penal Reform

Sounds good apart from paying them minimum wage while they work.

But officials are aware that any move to provide prisoners with work must not be at the expense of local jobs and businesses, our correspondent added.
    Yeah, right. And there is a massive skills shortage that can only be covered by the import of highly skilled and experienced IT professionals from India too.

It sounds a good idea, but a) completely misses the root cause of the problem, and b) is open to abuse.
    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Ah....PENAL reform........read it slighly different.

Nothing to see here......
      When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by administrator View Post
        After yesterday's post on Child Benefit I am not sure I should post this...

Tory Penal Reform

Sounds good apart from paying them minimum wage while they work.
        They can pay toward their board and lodging with it.
        Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Chain gang 'em I say. Hanging's too good for them!!!
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
            Yeah, right. And there is a massive skills shortage that can only be covered by the import of highly skilled and experienced IT professionals from India too.

It sounds a good idea, but a) completely misses the root cause of the problem, and b) is open to abuse.
            Well the root cause of the problems are too deep to enter into in talks about reform surely? The root of the problem are massive failing by society to educate and look after its citizens. Changing the way society works at that level is an enormous change and I am not sure it can be compared to the import of workers.

In a lot of ways this is a good start to the change in the way society treats offenders. Instead of being locked up, get the buggers out working each day. Make the labour moderately harsh and it may help stop them re-offending. Currently being banged up in a warm room with TV etc is just too easy. Making them work can also reduce the financial burdens of keeping them inside.

In what way would it be open to abuse?

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
            They can pay toward their board and lodging with it.
            Exactly, but sod the minimum wage being paid to them, make them keep their own places clean and tidy and also get them doing the jobs no-one else wants, make prisoners work hard to repay society rather than giving them the cushy ride they currently get.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
              Chain gang 'em I say. Hanging's too good for them!!!
              Nowt wrong with a chain gang IMHO. Why shouldn't they do a bit of community service to earn their keep? Cleaning road signs and sweeping roads (outside lane of the M1 for example) would give them a purpose in life rather than shagging their cellmate.

Comment

Originally posted by Saddo View Post
                Nowt wrong with a chain gang IMHO. Why shouldn't they do a bit of community service to earn their keep? Cleaning road signs and sweeping roads (outside lane of the M1 for example) would give them a purpose in life rather than shagging their cellmate.
                If prisoners are put on chain gangs what are the unemployed chain gangs going to do?

And what about all the poeple who currently have jobs cleaning roads, etc?
                How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
                  If prisoners are put on chain gangs what are the unemployed chain gangs going to do?

And what about all the poeple who currently have jobs cleaning roads, etc?
                  Get the miscreants to do the work that no-one else wants to do. Appreciate what you mean about them potentially taking jobs away from those who want to work who haven't offended but there must be jobs out there that are a bit harsh that no-one wants to do...

Comment

Originally posted by administrator View Post
                    Get the miscreants to do the work that no-one else wants to do. Appreciate what you mean about them potentially taking jobs away from those who want to work who haven't offended but there must be jobs out there that are a bit harsh that no-one wants to do...
                    Are people in prison for punishment or as punishment? I have always been told that it was the latter.

I am all for programs in prisons to keep them occupied and rehabilitation, but it should not be further retribution or open to commercial abuse.

In any case, the economic prospects of the UK mean that benefits will be withdrawn for the vast majority of job seekers so there will be few jobs that nobody wants to do. Crime will increase too. Indeed, long before the real rot sets in, for some the prospect of gaol with a bed, a roof over their head and regular meals will be an attractive option.

Comment

Working...
                    X