• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do away with the myriad of pointless benefits, tax credits etc...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do away with the myriad of pointless benefits, tax credits etc...

...and raise the minimum wage and cut tax and NI for low earners.

How ******* hard is it?

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

How ******* hard is it?

I hear ya Dim Prawn....... the Con-Dems don't but I do.

Comment

How ******* hard is it?
      or have a flat tax?

imagine how many pen-pushers that would do out of a job

government cronies won't get rid of the myriad of benefits and tax credits because it keeps them in work

Comment

Originally posted by Boudica View Post
        or have a flat tax?

imagine how many pen-pushers that would do out of a job

government cronies won't get rid of the myriad of benefits and tax credits because it keeps them in work
        Flat taxes aren't fair.

They are for me and you, but not for the majority of society.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsQuickerAntiClockwise View Post
          Flat taxes aren't fair.

They are for me and you, but not for the majority of society.
          Why not?
          Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

I think the argument is that say 30% tax on £20K is a lot harder to take than 30% tax on an income of £200K.

Comment

How ******* hard is it?
              Wrong question. How much work does it provide for contractors?
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

I think the argument is that say 30% tax on £20K is a lot harder to take than 30% tax on an income of £200K.
                WHS .......

The only way you could make it slightly fairer is to make sure you have a high no-tax-paid threshold, like £10,000 or even £15,000 ....... That way all everyone has enough to make sure they can afford the basics of living. After that you get taxed a flat rate on what you earn.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsQuickerAntiClockwise View Post
                  WHS .......

The only way you could make it slightly fairer is to make sure you have a high no-tax-paid threshold, like £10,000 or even £15,000 ....... That way all everyone has enough to make sure they can afford the basics of living. After that you get taxed a flat rate on what you earn.
                  WHS

A very high tax free allowance and then a flat rate. I would say this is the fairest and simplest system to have.

It would have to be about £15K minimum to work.

Comment

Scrap the minimum wage, benefits, employment 'protection' laws, 'elf and safety, and other stuff that has been a burden for years. It would all sort itself out in no time.

It won't be nice.

There is a choice: do it now as considerable cost, or do it later at extortionate cost. It is far too late for any 'soft landing' to happen.
                    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Working...
                    X