• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Teaching science

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Teaching science

I don't agree with Gove on much, but this caught my eye:

Gove also said he wanted GCSE maths and science exams to be made tougher, adding: "We urgently need to ensure our children study rigorous disciplines instead of pseudo-subjects.

"In Massachusetts, 16-year-olds are asked, in their science exams, to identify the shape of a carbon tetrabromide molecule as predicted by the valence-shell repulsion theory.

"In England, 16-year-olds are asked in their science exams whether we sweat through our lungs or our skin."
    Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
    I don't agree with Gove on much, but this caught my eye:
    Agree in principle - but I think that needs changing to

"In England, some 16-year-olds are asked in their science exams whether we sweat through our lungs or our skin."
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
      Agree in principle - but I think that needs changing to

"In England, some 16-year-olds are asked in their science exams whether we sweat through our lungs or our skin."
      Yep, and half of those asked didn't understand the question.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

I have sweaty lungs but they've been much better since I started inhaling deoderant.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
          Yep, and half of those asked didn't understand the question.
          Doesn't matter, I believe examination boards provide the answers on the back of the paper, and where that doesn't work, on the front.

Comment

Anyway, seeing as Tetra means 4, surely the only possible shape for a molecule of carbon tetrabromide is a tetrahedron, as anyone with a basic knowledge of classical studies would know without using Valences, shells, repulsive stuff or google.

Comment

Reminds me of this:

Chinese Students Maths Question vs English Students Maths Question
              It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Originally posted by MrRobin View Post
                Chinese prisms have a reputation for being quite tough.

Comment

Originally posted by MrRobin View Post
                  The first (Chinese) reminds me of Pure Maths 'A' level question, perhaps being one of the easier ones, while the second (English) I don't think would have been difficult enough to appear on an 'O' level paper a couple of decades ago.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                    The first (Chinese) reminds me of Pure Maths 'A' level question, perhaps being one of the easier ones, while the second (English) I don't think would have been difficult enough to appear on an 'O' level paper a couple of decades ago.
                    Hmmm, but I wonder whether you would really want Chinese education in Britain. Drilling maths into young children along with Maoist singalongs, torturous gymnastics sessions etc. is perhaps the opposite extreme to working out the length of the hypoteneuse while munching another bag of crisps.

Comment

Working...
                    X