• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fable that the first programmer was a woman rigorously debunked

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fable that the first programmer was a woman rigorously debunked

Ada Lovelace was not the first programmer, despite the claim being perpetuated in a new book, according to a credible appearing Register article that reads a bit like a Daily Mash article.

The article suggests instead that Babbage (a man) and his sons (also male) were the first programmers, while Ada (female) was a scatter brained proofreader who was a bit of a harlot, gambler and a druggy and who couldn't programme for toffee.

So there is a difference of opinion there then. What we males need now is someone to write how the female 'programmers' at Bletchley were not programmers either, just transcribers or something.

Poet's daughter was first programmer? NOT ? The Register

In other news, some chap wants to built Babbage's steam powered Analytical Engine, but he wants paying:
    Legendary steampunk computer 'should be built' - programmer ? The Register

I wouldn't mind doing that too, but I also want paying.

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Ada Lovelace was not the first programmer, despite the claim being perpetuated in a new book, according to a credible appearing Register article that reads a bit like a Daily Mash article.

The article suggests instead that Babbage (a man) and his sons (also male) were the first programmers, while Ada (female) was a scatter brained proofreader who was a bit of a harlot, gambler and a druggy and who couldn't programme for toffee.

So there is a difference of opinion there then. What we males need now is someone to write how the female 'programmers' at Bletchley were not programmers either, just transcribers or something.

Poet's daughter was first programmer? NOT ? The Register

In other news, some chap wants to built Babbage's steam powered Analytical Engine, but he wants paying:
    Legendary steampunk computer 'should be built' - programmer ? The Register

I wouldn't mind doing that too, but I also want paying.
    Oh dear. Has some lass being giving you lip in Asda?
    +50 Xeno Geek Points
    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
      Oh dear. Has some lass being giving you lip in Asda?
      This thread is not for females

Comment

This thread is not for females
        Well that's me told.
        +50 Xeno Geek Points
        Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
        As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

I bet she couldn't reverse park or read maps either.
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

I've used both Ada and Babbage languages. Babbage was a lot of fun.

Comment

Linda Lovelace was not the first programmer
              No, but she gave good head.
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Nice thread title.

A Woman Rigorously Debunked is going to be my next Regency-setting Mills & Boon novel.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                  No, but she gave good head.
                  Was she mouthy?

Comment

Working...
                  X