• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Weak handshake

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weak handshake

New chap sharing my office today, as my testers have moved to another location.

Came in, introduced himself, stuck out a hand as you do, then as I clasped his hand his limp, rather clammy hand seemed to collapse like mush under my admittedly fairly firm grip.

Urrghh, I don´t like weak handshakes. Urrgh. Yuck.

Still, might turn out to be a nice bloke.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

One thing I have learnt at interview time is to use a firm handshake. I think that sets the scene for the following interview.

Other positive interview techniques include sitting forward in the chair, not crossing legs, not crossing arms, looking straight at the interviewer.

Comment

Originally posted by Saddo View Post
      One thing I have learnt at interview time is to use a firm handshake. I think that sets the scene for the following interview.

Other positive interview techniques include sitting forward in the chair, not crossing legs, not crossing arms, looking straight at the interviewer.
      And be willing to accept £100/day.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        And be willing to accept £100/day.
        Sorry, that doesn't form part of my interview strategy. And furthermore I can't see how offering yourself for crumbs can ever make you look good in the interview - looks more like they are buying someone who is worth diddly squat.

Now £100 an hour.....

Comment

One thing I have learnt at interview time is to use the pass-grip of a Master Freemason. I think that sets the scene for the following interview.
          ftfy.

Comment

Sorry, that doesn't form part of my interview strategy. And furthermore I can't see how offering yourself for crumbs can ever make you look good in the interview - looks more like they are buying someone who is worth diddly squat.

Now £100 an hour.....
            WHS.

Also, sitting to the side of the interviewer at about a 90 degree angle can help in gaining agreement; sitting opposite each other is a confrontational position. Some interviewers make it impossible to do this, but where possible I take the seat which puts me in the 'agreement position'.

It's quite a well known diplomatic technique that I learnt when I did a contract at the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs; succesful one-to-one negotiators sit around a low coffee table in informal seats, and at an oblique angle to the side of the other party. You can try this for yourself at home with your partner; sit opposite each other at dinner and then make some statement about how the garden should be arranged, knowing that it's not what your partner wants; he/she will disagree quite strongly. Suggest your idea while sitting in the living room at an angle and he/she will point out weaknesses or ask questions, which is more likely to get you both closer to what you want.
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Is that the one where you stick your fingers up each others' sleeves?

doesn't it feel a bit creepy?

Comment

I thought we'd agreed a common Contractors approach of grasping only the index and middle finger of the outstretched hand & shaking ...
                a further refinement being the tickle of the palm (only to be used by Grand Master Contractors)
                How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

there was a funny handshake thread once maybe

Comment

Originally posted by Boudica View Post
                    Is that the one where you stick your fingers up each others' sleeves?
                    Is that a euphemism ?
                    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Working...
                    X