• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are contractors "doers and grafters"?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are contractors "doers and grafters"?

Cameron:

Mr Cameron will also use his conference speech to stress the coalition's commitment to enterprise, saying it will be the "doers and grafters, the inventors and the entrepreneurs who get this economy going".

He will speak of his admiration for "people who leave the comfort of a regular wage to strike out on their own" and say "we need to get behind our wealth creators".
    Link

I know we cannot be classed as inventors, entrepreneurs and wealth creators but as flexible/highly skilled workers do we contribute to wealth creation?

Seeing as we are "people who leave the comfort of a regular wage to strike out on their own" does this look like we might finally start getting left to just get on with it?
    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
    Seeing as we are "people who leave the comfort of a regular wage to strike out on their own" does this look like we might finally start getting left to just get on with it?
    I will believe it when I see it.

I am of the opinion that IR35 won't go away and return things to the way they were before Gordon slipped it in. I think the coalition will come up with an update or alternative which will be more concrete and able to produce a return for the chancellor.

Comment

Originally posted by Saddo View Post
      I will believe it when I see it.

I am of the opinion that IR35 won't go away and return things to the way they were before Gordon slipped it in. I think the coalition will come up with an update or alternative which will be more concrete and able to produce a return for the chancellor.
      If they make the rules "more concrete" you will find a lot of other professions such as acting, medical staff, lawyers etc providing personal services getting caught, and they'll put up a very loud fight indeed.

So no, such a fear is utter bollox I'd say.

More likely IR35 will be quietly dropped and people will be left to get on with earning money and boosting the economy through other taxes.

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
        Cameron:

Link

I know we cannot be classed as inventors, entrepreneurs and wealth creators but as flexible/highly skilled workers do we contribute to wealth creation?

Speak for yourself, I amongst others on this forum have contributed towards numerous patent applications.

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
          Speak for yourself, I amongst others on this forum have contributed towards numerous patent applications.
          I too have at least six international patents in my name for electronic circuit protection devices and telecoms test equipment.

As you say, not all of us are bog std perma-temps.

Comment

Insofar as they sell their own personal time for an hourly/daily rate and are forbidden from benefitting from any surplus value that their work generates, contractors are the classic Marxist proletariat.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              I too have at least six international patents in my name for electronic circuit protection devices and telecoms test equipment.

As you say, not all of us are bog std perma-temps.
              LOL, I am ....... not one of my contractrs would fall outside of IR35.

Comment

Speak for yourself, I amongst others on this forum have contributed towards urban dictionary definitions.
                ftfy

Comment

Speak for yourself, I amongst others on this forum have contributed towards numerous pedant applications.
                  ftfy
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
                    Insofar as they sell their own personal time for an hourly/daily rate and are forbidden from benefitting from any surplus value that their work generates, contractors are the classic Marxist proletariat.
                    and we choose where we work and how much we get paid and choose things to buy, do, sell, holiday etc, yes, it's almost exactly the same

Comment

Working...
                    X