• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Question for the experts: Scarifier

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for the experts: Scarifier

morning all,

the gardener says we need to have the lawn scarified and has given a price for doing said task...

price basically, is, well, for the same price as the gardener scarifying our lawn four times, I could buy a very nice top end petrol scarifier

so, I'm gonna buy the toy and do it myself, some gardening therapy playing with garden toys away from the pc

anyway, question to the experts,

scarifier, scarifying the lawn, is it really necessary, does it achieve anything ?

thanks

Milan.

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    morning all,

the gardener says we need to have the lawn scarified and has given a price for doing said task...

price basically, is, well, for the same price as the gardener scarifying our lawn four times, I could buy a very nice top end petrol scarifier

so, I'm gonna buy the toy and do it myself, some gardening therapy playing with garden toys away from the pc

anyway, question to the experts,

scarifier, scarifying the lawn, is it really necessary, does it achieve anything ?

thanks

Milan.
    Yes. It will get rid of a tulipload of moss and allow your lawn to grow properly, as in grass. On top of that, you can then use the collected Moss to line your hanging baskets with, thus creating a properly rustic ambience.
    Moreover, you could also then swap the scarifier's gutsy engine out with the one in your Passat to improve performance and really get bang for your buck from your initial outlay.

HTH

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

I have done mine twice this year and it makes a big difference.

Do not underestimate the job though, it will produce about 10 to 20 times the volume of waste that a normal cut does. My first job produced about 2 wheelie bins of moss on a green about 35 square meters.

Comment

thanks Dad,

I'll buy the toy then

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
          I have done mine twice this year and it makes a big difference.

Do not underestimate the job though, it will produce about 10 to 20 times the volume of waste that a normal cut does. My first job produced about 2 wheelie bins of moss on a green about 35 square meters.

eek 35 square meters produced 2 wheelie bins of moss !!!!!!!!!!!

we're gonna need a couple of artics then

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post

Anything that gets you away from the PC gets my vote.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
              My record so far is 15 bin bags full of moss.

I gave up then & haven't done it since.

It's a never ending task, a bit like painting the Forth bridge, but not quite so interesting.

bugger

bugger and if I buy it, i'll have no choice than to use it

bugger

hmmm, what to do

Milan.

Comment

Or just leave the moss. Moss with a bit of grass in it makes a great lawn, not only green, but all sort of soft to walk on like a carpet.
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                  Oh yes.

How big is the bin on the scarifier?

It's a pain in the 'arris if it's too small (like the one on mine is), since it's scarify 3 feet, compress moss, scarify another 3 feet, then empty bin.

It seems fecking endless.

And no matter how much you do, moss will still come out if you do it some more.

As I said, a never ending task.

Avoid.

@rse

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                    Or just leave the moss. Moss with a bit of grass in it makes a great lawn, not only green, but all sort of soft to walk on like a carpet.
                    Until the spiders arrive and turn it into their version of a Mumbai shanty town!

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Working...
                    X