• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Worthless pound

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worthless pound

Ok, as the trend continues England will soon be worth nothing.

You'd have to call the charity to have someone picking up your stuff as it's not even worth getting it for free.

A pity I do have an expensive family to maintain... if I could only save a few swiss francs a month...
    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Originally posted by Francko View Post

You'd have to call the charity to have someone picking up your stuff as it's not even worth getting it for free.

A pity I do have an expensive family to maintain... if I could only save a few swiss francs a month...
    So my debt is worth less.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Perhaps leaving my contract in Geneva in June was not a wise move since the pound has gone from about 1.7 to around 1.53 - that's about £50 a day extra because of the exchange rate!
      Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

It's still gaining vs the USD as per the current "trend"

$1.6 in sight
        "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

The ups and downs are all froth.

But long term I'd rather be in the UK's position than the Eurozone.

Comment

We may be in trouble, but not deep enough to consider putting an Italian in charge! We could probably have used your help whilst we were giving the Empire away though..........might have speeded the process up.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
              But long term I'd rather be in the UK's position than the Eurozone.
              You mean like bending over into opened train window in order to open the door from the outside when the train stops at the station, that kind of position?

Comment

Couple of things (and I am being serious for a change)

1) Those that enslave us need us to keep on working. Currencies may come and go, but the financial system will never truly melt down, just possibly be replaced. Global currency being the next step (around 8-10 years is my prediction.

2) Unless you are working for Wall St or Goldmans you cannot know what is going to happen. The markets are all manipulated.

So in short, stop worrying, start living, make the best of what you have and think yourself lucky for what you have. Those that enslave us know that by keeping things cushy we will not make too much of a fuss. In fact this is born out by the fact that we are more prepared to winge about someone getting unfairly getting kicked off the X factor than lobby parliament by the tens of thousands about "unfair" changes in child benefit, for example.

Prolly get flamed for posting this, but if you think about it, we've never had it so good.
                Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

As always, I have to be careful what and how I say things.....

In fact, just look for stories in the financial news about 'competitive devaluations' or 'currency wars'.

Such as sminki and sminki
                  How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                  Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
                    As always, I have to be careful what and how I say things.....

In fact, just look for stories in the financial news about 'competitive devaluations' or 'currency wars'.

Such as sminki and sminki
                    Nicely put.
                    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Working...
                    X