• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

So whats so special about Banking?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So whats so special about Banking?

So whats the deal here.

Security Clearance versus Investment Banking?

I get it that SC has a premium attached to it. Seems to be worth an extra 20% on top of the rates for a contract

But IB? Even bog standard technical skills have a significant premium. Starting rates at £450. I am forever
    seeing SQL/Reporting/BI work offered at £500-£600 per day.

But all the same. Must have IB. Must have equities. Must have derivatives.

I did a few banks 10+ years ago but never IB.

So how easy is this to learn? Are there specific books/papers that a contractor should read to get themselves up to speed for an interview?

Would it be prudent to put feelers out and offer yourself at a discount rate to your technical skills to get in and learn the 'business?'
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    So whats the deal here.

Security Clearance versus Investment Banking?

I get it that SC has a premium attached to it. Seems to be worth an extra 20% on top of the rates for a contract

But IB? Even bog standard technical skills have a significant premium. Starting rates at £450. I am forever
    seeing SQL/Reporting/BI work offered at £500-£600 per day.

But all the same. Must have IB. Must have equities. Must have derivatives.

I did a few banks 10+ years ago but never IB.

So how easy is this to learn? Are there specific books/papers that a contractor should read to get themselves up to speed for an interview?

Would it be prudent to put feelers out and offer yourself at a discount rate to your technical skills to get in and learn the 'business?'
    You'll need to pass this exam.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
      http://electricpulp.com/guykawasaki/arse/
      I will neglect from clicking this hyperlink thanks. Looks too much like it could be a Rick Roll or that annoying link which flicks up a large repetitive video of some guy getting shagged up the bottom while playing 'You spin me right round, baby right round' at top volume!

Comment

Nobody has a clue about IB, even those who work in it.

If I was asked a question I never knew the answer to I would just mutter something about the legs on the swap being incorrect then stare into the middle distance.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
          Nobody has a clue about IB, even those who work in it.

If I was asked a question I never knew the answer to I would just mutter something about the legs on the swap being incorrect then stare into the middle distance.
          Wrong; those who have a clue wouldn't touch it with a bargepole. See 2008 and our current economic predicament.

Comment

MF, you need a sharp suit and a big donger to get in.

PM me for details.

Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

How is your brand?

You have to be:

MF - the brand
              "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by Xenophon View Post
                MF, you need a sharp suit and a big donger to get in.

PM me for details.

I understand. But what am I going to do with your big suit and sharp donger?

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
                  How is your brand?

You have to be:

MF - the brand

Comment

Go into Rowley Birkin mode at the interview.

"Chicago Merc"

mutter mutter

"wonderful position in a butterfly spread"

mutter mutter

"but theta decay was eating my arse"

mutter mutter

"took profit"

mutter mutter

"and the waiter said they had no more of that vintage"

mutter mutter

"the charming gal had to help me with my trousers"

mutter mutter

"I must admit that I was very, very drunk at the time"
                    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Working...
                    X