• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Man criticised by Labour MPs for saying something sensible

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Man criticised by Labour MPs for saying something sensible

So this chap Hunt suggests that people who don't have any money should think it over a bit more before producing lots of children, and Labour call that "unreasonable and very cruel".

Cap on family benefits will make claimants 'take responsibility' for their large families, Jeremy Hunt claims - Telegraph

FFS
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

At least he's learned something from the old Keith Joseph business: say stuff like that after you've won the election, not before.

Comment

You should hear the criticism you get if you use the word "deserving poor".

Comment

If it's not right to punish the kids for the irresponsibility of the parents (by slashing the cash), the irresponsible parents (in this case the mum) should be prevented from being irresponsible, which means sterilisation

is this where the labour position will eventually lead us to?

(\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Someone suggested this on CUK the other week, and I'll admit I said it was a stupid idea that'd never happen... it seemed unbelievable a government would have the balls, or get away with it.

Of course, suggesting it is not the same as implementing it. For instance putting a cap on families who already have the children is problematic, you can't really just say "tough" and give benefits that genuinely are not enough to buy food, in a country with a welfare state... that would lead to homelessness and more importantly, bad PR.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
            If it's not right to punish the kids for the irresponsibility of the parents (by slashing the cash), the irresponsible parents (in this case the mum) should be prevented from being irresponsible, which means sterilisation

is this where the labour position will eventually lead us to?

Scary thought indeed, and I know that once the kids are born they have to be looked after; but that doesn't mean giving the money directly to parents who clearly can't take responsibility. The money really needs to be administered by someone who can take responsible decisions with it.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              Someone suggested this on CUK the other week, and I'll admit I said it was a stupid idea that'd never happen... it seemed unbelievable a government would have the balls, or get away with it.

Of course, suggesting it is not the same as implementing it. For instance putting a cap on families who already have the children is problematic, you can't really just say "tough" and give benefits that genuinely are not enough to buy food, in a country with a welfare state... that would lead to homelessness and more importantly, bad PR.
              I can see there are problems with this, but you can't call it cruel to raise the issue and make the suggestion. After all, it would seem to me to be quite normal to expect people to consider their family finances before taking on the responsibility of raising a chiild.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

Re-assess the claimants needs.

Simples.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                  Scary thought indeed, and I know that once the kids are born they have to be looked after; but that doesn't mean giving the money directly to parents who clearly can't take responsibility. The money really needs to be administered by someone who can take responsible decisions with it.
                  Sod giving them money. Give them food and clothing vouchers.
                  “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                    Sod giving them money. Give them food and clothing vouchers.
                    indeedy

Comment

Working...
                    X