• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Project Wetherspoons!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Project Wetherspoons!!

Following a chat with a work colleague of mine who comes from the North East, we got to chatting about the country's social ills. He was telling me that a number of his former schoolmates now eke out an existence basically doing the rounds of all the cheapest pubs in the region. Apparently, as they are registered as Alcoholic, they get a daily allowance of £19, on top of any other benefits, which they basically blow on cheap lager/cider etc.
    My initial response was one of mild outrage that my taxes were funding these habits.
    However, after further deliberation, I came to the conclusion that this was in fact a very cunning, though slightly cynical, use of resources.
    If these wasters manage to drink themselves to death well before they become a real burden to the NHS, then it will be money well spent. Following on from that, we mused that perhaps the whole JDW empire is simply a front for a Government plan to eliminate the workshy? Hence the suggested name "Project Wetherspoons".

Any thoughts from the Panel??
    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    I'm going to have a word with my doctor to see if I can get put on that benefit.

I wouldn't be on it for long. I might be able to have five or six pints per day at that level of funding. I would last about a week before I died.
    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Load of bollox - if they want cheap booze they can get it in Tesco's - why pay premium at the pubs even those that sell pint for 99 pence?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        Load of bollox - if they want cheap booze they can get it in Tesco's - why pay premium at the pubs even those that sell pint for 99 pence?
        One word.................Networking!!

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Following a chat with a work colleague of mine who comes from the North East, we got to chatting about the country's social ills. He was telling me that a number of his former schoolmates now eke out an existence basically doing the rounds of all the cheapest pubs in the region. Apparently, as they are registered as Alcoholic, they get a daily allowance of £19, on top of any other benefits, which they basically blow on cheap lager/cider etc.
          My initial response was one of mild outrage that my taxes were funding these habits.
          However, after further deliberation, I came to the conclusion that this was in fact a very cunning, though slightly cynical, use of resources.
          If these wasters manage to drink themselves to death well before they become a real burden to the NHS, then it will be money well spent. Following on from that, we mused that perhaps the whole JDW empire is simply a front for a Government plan to eliminate the workshy? Hence the suggested name "Project Wetherspoons".

Where do I sign?
          Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Frankly I can't be bothered to work out the model.

On the other hand, by proudest prediction model was for a tobacco company who had me on a retainer through a consultancy to come up with costing/promotional models.

One day, I was invited to their head office and asked to watch the presentations of the day. One a plannogramming consultancy showed their results, another space elasticity, another pricing, another promotional mechanics, another health impacts of smoking & mortality, another the costs of smoking on the NHS.

Only a few years out of university, the commercial sensitivity was lost on me, as i madly scribbed over the day.

At the end of the day I was asked if I had been able to do anything on top of the analysis already presented. Oh yes, proudly, I showed the slides and the Excel 'What If' model I had created.

A pricing & promotions elasticity model, with a revenue and profit model, including taxes, with a mortality calculation and impact on the NHS.

'And in conclusion, you can see by reducing the tax of cigarettes by 50%, you increase the number of people who die through smoking by x per year, but this is offset in tax due to the increased numbers of people smoking, which in return reduces the burden on the NHS....'

Silence followed....... Then a 'Give me that disk and model', followed by a 'Don't ever talk of this again!'

I was young.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

One word.................Networking!!
              So in your view alcoholics that just want to get drunk would prefer to go to relatively expensive pub where they'd probably have to buy a round to their "networking mates" instead of getting cheap ultra strong Tesco lager?

Comment

I am informed by the other half that the money for being a boozer is a total myth.

Comment

Other than that I was in a wetherspoons today and they are getting 'proper job' in next month.

Last time I had that was in Newquay airport.

It's a decent brew and I for one am happy they are making an effort to get it up here.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                    Other than that I was in a wetherspoons today and they are getting 'proper job' in next month.

Last time I had that was in Newquay airport.

It's a decent brew and I for one am happy they are making an effort to get it up here.
                    Nice one! St Austells IIRC. Nicely hopped. Thricely hopped. Schluuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurp.
                    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Working...
                    X