• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Housing market crash feared after average house prices take record plunge

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Housing market crash feared after average house prices take record plunge

Fears of a housing market crash have been raised after average house prices fell by more than £6,000 in September, driven to the biggest monthly fall on record amid anxiety about the fragile state of the economy.

The 3.6% monthly decline in house prices – the biggest reported in 27 years by Halifax – was described as an "absolute shocker" by one economist, and knocked share prices in housebuilders and mortgage lenders.

Halifax, part of the state-controlled Lloyds Banking Group, tried to ally fears that prices – now at an average of £162,096 – were poised to nosedive amid impending cuts to public sector jobs.

Martin Ellis, Halifax's housing economist, stressed that while September's 3.6% fall was a record on the basis of monthly comparisons, on a quarterly basis the fall in house prices was 0.9% compared with the second quarter – a significant slowdown on previous quarter-on-quarter falls of between 5% and 6%.

The release of the closely watched Halifax data, which has been a barometer of house prices since it was first compiled in January 1983, came barely 24 hours after the International Monetary Fund had warned that house prices in the UK were too high and vulnerable to a fall.

Halifax admitted the September fall was an "intake of breath" moment, and warned that more volatility was expected because of rising taxes, falling incomes and homeowners testing the appetite for demand by putting their homes on the market.

Howard Archer, chief UK economist at IHS Global Insight, described the house price data as an "absolute shocker", but noted that prices had risen surprising strongly in August and July.

More from source: Housing market crash feared after average house prices take record plunge | Business | The Guardian

-------

If house prices continue to fall like this then I might buy a house or two next year...

Fears of a housing market crash have been raised
    Ay oop!! It is Groundhog Day again!

I am sure they only run these scare stories to give the renting fraternity a little stiffy!

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      If house prices continue to fall like this then I might buy a house or two next year...
      Buy on the way down.

Now that show cunning investment skills, Alexi.
      How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
      Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
        Now that show cunning investment skills, Alexi.
        I don't plan to invest into a house, I just plan to buy one to live in it ...

Comment

How is China and those hookers Dave?
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
          X