• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Nightmare Neighbour

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nightmare Neighbour

I realise that Winston has a parallel thread running on a similar topic but I feel that my tale is so extraordinary that it warrants its own thread.

A few months ago a young single mother moved in next door. Not the most talkative of people I found whenever I tried exchanging pleasantries with her on the doorstep so I assumed she must have been depressed.

Now I'm a neighbourly soul at heart so I took it upon myself to do something to cheer her up. I'd noted that her garden had become somewhat unkempt since she moved in so I thought I'd go and sort it out for her sometime when I knew she was away. I have to confess that I wasn't being entirely altruistic here since I'm sure her knee height grass was having an adverse effect on the price of my house.

So I made a point of standing outside where I could listen in to her telephone conversations until I got wind of her going away. It turned out she was going to her sister one weekend so as soon as I heard her door close on that Saturday morning I shot straight round armed to the gunwhales with various horticultural implements.

I mowed her lawn and gave it stripes, weeded all the borders, planted some gloxinia that I had spare and even fashioned a little sparrow out of her box hedge. Knowing she'd be back on the Sunday evening, I accidentally on purpose made sure I was there putting the final touches to the fruits of my labour.
    And that's where it all went wrong.

Instead of hearing overtures of gratitude for what I had done the first thing I heard was "what the hell are you doing in my garden?" This rapidly descended into a hysterical verbal assault on me in which she accused me of violating her space. Not the sweet lonely single mum I thought she was but a rabid north country lefty type with more baggage than terminal 5.

I tried making the peace with her a few days later by taking round a cauliflower cheese that I had made but she told me to clear off and that she was going to inform social services. All in all this leaves me in a very awkward position as our paths occasionally cross on the doorstep and I just can't stand her frostiness towards me. Is there anything I can do to offer her an olive branch or do you think I would be digging myself into a hole?
    Last edited by gricerboy; 7 October 2010, 22:14.

What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

ah..this old chestnut.
      you are not the first trainspotter this has happened to, in fact may normals suffer similar ingratitudes.
      My good friend Chauncey, made a similar faux pas, but recovered the situation by trimming her bush, then ploughing her furrow. just make sure she is at home next time.

(\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

It is beyond a joke that this sockie is allowed to still post when it has been proved beyond a doubt that he is a troll.
        Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
          It is beyond a joke that this sockie is allowed to still post when it has been proved beyond a doubt that he is a troll.
          How rude? Picking on sockies and trolls. Makes me glum.

Comment

I can't for the life of me figure out who it is, although I still reckon Suitie is a suspect.

No way is it Threaded, as everyone seems to think, because if so he'd also be around as himself, which he plainly hasn't been recently.
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by gricerboy View Post
              I realise that Winston has a parallel thread running on a similar topic but I feel that my tale is so extraordinary that it warrants its own thread.
              Not me dear boy. You're confusing me with Wilmslow - an easy mistake to make.

Comment

Originally posted by gricerboy View Post
                fashioned a little sparrow out of her box hedge.
                She didn't have much of a thatch if you could only manage a sparrow

Comment

Originally posted by pacharan View Post
                  She didn't have much of a thatch if you could only manage a sparrow
                  Have you seen the size of the Sparrow on Ulm Münster? That's a big ferkin sparrow.

Comment

According to the letter of the law, you have committed criminal damage. Now, take yourself off to the local nick and hand yourself in, there's a good chap...
                    Illegitimus non carborundum est!

Comment

Working...
                    X