• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Take home pay

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Take home pay

Hi,

Just registered and was after some advice.....

I have just started contracting so it's all new to me so please forgive me for not knowing much :/

I have just been paid my first months wages for September (5 week month) I earn £13.30ph and work 39 hours per week. Within September I took 4 days off so as my payslip was generated I was looking at 4 weeks and 1 days worth of pay.

The exact brakedown of my wages is seen here:

Week ending Hours Gross pay
    26/09/2010: 17 £226.10
    19/09/2010: 39 £518.70
    12/09/2010: 39 £518.70
    05/09/2010: 39 £412.30
    29/08/2010: 39 £518.70 Total: £2194.50

So from this amount I pay £28 per week to my umbrella, (But they owed me 1 week free so instead of £140 its £112.)

So thats £2194.50 - £112 = £2082.50

Within this month I had £502.82 worth of tax free expenses so I take that off before I work my Tax and NI off.

£2082.50 - £502.82 = £1579.68

HMRC also told me normally my tax free allowence should be £539 however I am on an emergencey tax code at the miniute so they explained that I just dont take this amount out to work out the tax and ni.

So,

£1579.68 / 100 x 20 = £315.94 to pay for Tax
    £1579.68 / 100 x 11 = £173.76 to pay for NI

Add those together £315.94 + £173.76 = £489.70 So thats what I owe on both tax and NI.

So if Ive worked it out correctly

£1579.68 (taxable amount) - £489.70 (tax and ni deduction) = £1089.98 + £502.82 (readded expenses) = £1592.80 take home pay

Thats the way I would work it out and also thats the way HMRC would do it. (Please if i have gone wrong please let me know where)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The brakedown on my wage slip:

Payslip:
    Gross Payments Statutory Payment £0.00
    Basic Pay £978.45
    Holiday Pay £118.80
    Net Profit Bonus £315.66
    Total £1,412.91

Less - Deductions Advances £0.00
    Employees Social Security £86.43
    Employees Tax £371.35
    Student Loan £0.00
    CSA Deductions £0.00
    Attachment of Earnings £0.00
    Total £457.78

Add - Reimbursed Expenses
    Phone costs £0.00
    Travel £117.82
    Accommodation £0.00
    Hotel/Business Expenses £0.00
    Subsistence £385.00
    Stationery £0.00
    Training/Other £0.00
    Total £502.82

Billable Expenses £0.00

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total Net Pay £1,457.95

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now I know I should expect less due to the emergencey tax code but even with it I find myself £134.85 down.

Also all my calculations (I spent an hour on the phone to HMRC working out what I should have paid and confirmed the calculations i made above should be correct)

Can anyone tell me if I am mistaken and explain why?

The wage slip above shows all pay and deduction amounts, no hidden charges nothing like that.

Sorry for the long winded post but I am just confused to hell about this.

I would greatly appreciate the help.

Thanks in advance
    Best of luck, but don't smoke Cubans in a Merc; the smell invades the bespoke carpets and the nicotine stains the leather, all of which causes unnecessary depreciation.

Besides, if you really want to be a prick, buy an Audi Q7.

Don't forget Employers NI

Comment

What umbrella? Have you spoken to them? And tt's not the one offering the 'free' service is it because I checked someones wage slip a while back and I couldnt back their calcs up either.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Theonenonly -> The One & only -> Chesney Hawks fan? dear god.. or NOB25?

and how bad are wages in the UK now that IT contractors get paid £13.30 p/hr?? £100 p/day!!!

FFS
        The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
          Theonenonly -> The One & only -> Chesney Hawks fan? dear god.. or NOB25?

and how bad are wages in the UK now that IT contractors get paid £13.30 p/hr?? £100 p/day!!!

FFS
          I don't think thats an obscure question. Just out of university, support or tape change(sorry .Net Developer) seems a good rate.

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
            Don't forget Employers NI
            Presumably that is what accounts for the difference between the OP's Employee Salary of £1579.68 and the umbrella's figure of £1,412.91 ?
            Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
              Presumably that is what accounts for the difference between the OP's Employee Salary of £1579.68 and the umbrella's figure of £1,412.91 ?
              Yep. If the Umbrella is Giant(as I strongly suspect) then I would suggest that the OP should log in to the Giant site, go to the "payslips" section and view the relevant payslip and the Invoice Reconcilliation slip. Failing that, leave feed back for your ESO who will send you an email in a rather childlike language explaining how the process works.

Comment

All the ladies say 'phwoar'...
                Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
                  Yep. If the Umbrella is Giant(as I strongly suspect) then I would suggest that the OP should log in to the Giant site, go to the "payslips" section and view the relevant payslip and the Invoice Reconcilliation slip. Failing that, leave feed back for your ESO who will send you an email in a rather childlike language explaining how the process works.
                  How would you know that? Do you use an umbrella?

Comment

Originally posted by Xenophon View Post

All the ladies say 'phwoar'...
                    Never noticed the lyrics before. It sounds like how I speak to agents.

Comment

Working...
                    X