• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Barclays saviour Sheikh Mansour makes £2.25bn from sale of bank stake

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barclays saviour Sheikh Mansour makes £2.25bn from sale of bank stake

Sheikh Mansour, a member of Abu Dhabi's ruling family who also owns Manchester City football club, has exercised his remaining 132m warrants worth £140m.

Although he officially retains ownership of the shares, which are held in his investment vehicle PCP3, he has sold almost all the risk to Nomura via a complex hedging procedure.

Nomura last night announced a placing of 220m Barclays shares worth almost £670m. Sources at the bank said key investors were already lined up to buy parts of the stake.

Sheikh Mansour was one of three Gulf investors who helped Barclays raise £7bn in 2008 at the height of the financial crisis. The cash injection, the bulk of which came from Qatari investment vehicles, helped persuade the UK Government that Barclays could survive without a state bail-out.

The sheikh held his investment in warrants, instruments that allow investors to buy ordinary shares back at a set price by a specific date. At the time, Sheikh Mansour bought 758m warrants, giving him the right to buy shares at 197.7p at any time before 2013. In February, he exercised 626m warrants when the shares were at 302p. Yesterday Barclays shares closed at 304p.

The hedging instrument set up by Normura has allowed the sheikh to lock in the value of his warrants. Under the terms of the arrangement, he could make more money if the Barclays shares rise. However, he will not lose out if they go down.

Sheikh Mansour has now effectively made a total profit of £750m from the warrants alone. He already collected £1.5bn profit last June by selling mandatory convertible notes in Barclays he bought for £2bn.

The deal will be welcomed by Barclays since exercising the warrants three years ahead of time removes the uncertainty they held over the bank

Source: Barclays saviour Sheikh Mansour makes £2.25bn from sale of bank stake - Telegraph

WGAS

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
      WGAS

You should if you are a UK taxpayer because it is UK taxpayer's bailout of the system that enabled such massive profits to be made in the first place.

Comment

Which is effectively £2499992000 more than me.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          zzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
          Yeah... WGAFF
          How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
            WGAS

About the influence the Arabian empire has in UK matters.

Me.

Comment

Originally posted by Aman View Post
              About the influence the Arabian empire has in UK matters.

Me.
              Wot's this Arabian Empire of which you speak?
              How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

So that's where all my dividend went.
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  You should if you are a UK taxpayer because it is UK taxpayer's bailout of the system that enabled such massive profits to be made in the first place.
                  If I recall correctly, the UK taxpayer didn't bail out Barclays, this Sheikh Mansour bloke did. So fair play to him, and that's why nobody here GAS.

Comment

Working...
                  X