• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Persuasive Berlin or better rate?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Persuasive Berlin or better rate?

I'm nearly turning down twice my rate for a job in Holland so as I can stay in Berlin, such the amazing place that it is.

How to decide?
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    I'm nearly turning down twice my rate for a job in Holland so as I can stay in Berlin, such the amazing place that it is.

How to decide?
    what a dilemma.
    my take - I dont work because I enjoy it, so therefore if I am going to have a crap time whats the difference if its even more crappy ? so therefore go for the money and enjoy Berlin some other way,
    maybe a three month holiday at the best time of the year

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Better the devil you know than the client you don't
      A bird in the hand is worth twice the rate in the bush
      The grass is always greener on the other side
      Don't look a gift horse in the mouth

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
        Better the devil you know than the client you don't
        A bird in the hand is worth twice the rate in the bush
        The grass is always greener on the other side
        Don't look a gift horse in the mouth
        I used to be with TW on this.
        but now I think its always darkest before the dawn and you should make hay whilst the sun shines and strike while the iron is hot.
        Whilst looking before you leap and remembering that if you marry in haste you will repent at leisure.

(\__/)
        (>'.'<)

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
          I'm nearly turning down twice my rate for a job in Holland so as I can stay in Berlin, such the amazing place that it is. How to decide?
          Offer them half price rate so long as you stay in Berlin.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
            I used to be with TW on this.
            but now I think its always darkest before the dawn and you should make hay whilst the sun shines and strike while the iron is hot.
            Whilst looking before you leap and remembering that if you marry in haste you will repent at leisure.

True, but on the other hand...

Look before you leap. He who hesitates is lost.

Haste makes waste. Time waits for no man.

It's better to be safe than sorry. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. Beware of Greeks bearing gifts.

Hitch your wagon to a star. Don't bite off more that you can chew.

He who goes to bed with an itchy bum wakes up with a smelly finger.

Comment

True, but on the other hand...

Look before you leap. He who hesitates is lost.

Haste makes waste. Time waits for no man.

It's better to be safe than sorry. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. Beware of Greeks bearing gifts.

Hitch your wagon to a star. Don't bite off more that you can chew.

He who goes to bed with an itchy bum wakes up with a smelly finger.
              maybe, but...
              Berlin is the testicle of the West. When I want the West to scream, I squeeze on Berlin.
              (Nikita Khrushchev, First Secretary of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union, Aug. 24, 1963, speech in Yugoslavia

(\__/)
              (>'.'<)

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                maybe, but...
                Berlin is the testicle of the West. When I want the West to scream, I squeeze on Berlin.
                (Nikita Khrushchev, First Secretary of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union, Aug. 24, 1963, speech in Yugoslavia

Ich bin ein Berliner und meine Hoden verletzt -- John F. Kennedy said part of that

Comment

Ich bin ein Berliner und meine Hoden verletzt -- John F. Kennedy said part of that
                  I am a hotdog.

When we finally get invaded by hi-tec aliens with brains the size of space-hoppers, I expect one of them will pull his translator-vac mk20 out, look around at the humans
                  beam brightly and say
                  'Yes, I am a big-mac with fries'

(\__/)
                  (>'.'<)

Comment

Berlin the is the dog's bollocks. There's something for everyone here.

Go east to prenzlauer berg for an edgy, amazing nightlife, you might be eating in an old underground bunker one night and 21st century architectural designed building the next. If shopping is your thing go to Ka Da Va on Kurfürstendamm, makes Harrods look like the pound shop. It's not crowed, people are almost too friendly.

Then there's massive fish being waved in my face.

Working in the Netherlands I think would offer a good quality of life also, London is just 5 hours away on the train... but Berlin....
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                    X