• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Even millionaires should be entitled to child benefit, Ed Miliband says

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Even millionaires should be entitled to child benefit, Ed Miliband says

Asked whether he would condone handing out Government cash to the super-rich, the new Labour leader said he was against any move towards underminining the universal principal.

"I'm in favour of that yes, and I'm in favour of it because it's a cornerstone of our system to have universal benefits, and frankly there aren't that many millionaires in this country," he told BBC1's The Politics Show.

"Families on £45,000 need child benefit in my view and it's a way that society recognises the costs of having kids." (AtW's comment: oh dear, that's a nice admission from member of previous Govt that high rate tax payer needs state help to bring up kids)

Elected party leader only thanks to the votes of trade union members, Mr Miliband has been labelled “Red Ed” by the Conservatives.

He has suggested he wants to reduce the government deficit by relying more on tax rises and less on spending cuts than the Coalition government.

The Conservatives have suggested that means Labour would impose billions of pounds of new taxes on workers.

In a BBC interview, Mr Miliband said he would keep the tax rises announced by the last Labour government – including the 50p income tax rate for high earners – but said he would not go any further.

He said: “I’m not proposing increases in personal taxation beyond those set out by Alistair Darling, definitely.”

Instead, he said he would try to raise more money by taxing banks and cutting down on tax avoidance.

Mr Miliband’s pledge has echoes of promises made by Tony Blair, who pledged that he would never increase the basic rate of income tax.

That tax pledge was central to Mr Blair’s New Labour and its successive election victories. Mr Miliband has promised to “move on” from New Labour

Source: Even millionaires should be entitled to child benefit, Ed Miliband says - Telegraph

---

Well, he took the bait laid by Cons - he certainly won't last long as the dear leader

Fliping 'eck AtW.

Of all the pieces in the Telegraph you could of picked for your Sunday wibble you picked that one.

Go on, have another go and do better.
    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
      Fliping 'eck AtW.

Of all the pieces in the Telegraph you could of picked for your Sunday wibble you picked that one.

Go on, have another go and do better.
      I tried to pick the more relevant

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        there aren't that many millionaires in this country,
        It's one reason why "taxing the super rich" doesn't raise anywhere near as much money as you might think - there just aren't enough of them.

You only get the big money when you tax the masses.

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
          It's one reason why "taxing the super rich" doesn't raise anywhere near as much money as you might think - there just aren't enough of them.
          Almost 3,000 City staff took home more than £1m last year, says FSA | Business | The Guardian

Comment

Working...
          X