PDA

View Full Version : The definition of being wealthy

AtW
11th October 2010, 07:06
1. Not having to get up in the morning in order to be in the office at 8am :mad

OwlHoot
11th October 2010, 07:21
On the right tracks, but can't doleys claim the same thing?

John Cleese said the main benefit of his wealth (such that he still has after having to hand most of it to his ex-wives) is that it buys you more time to do what you want.

Having known several very wealthy people (not boasting just stating a relevant fact), I reckon that, paradoxically, to be mega rich and have a good life you need iron self-discipline and a sliver of ice in your heart. Otherwise it's too easy just to go to pieces in one way or another, like that lotto lout.

gingerjedi
11th October 2010, 07:26
Even the poorest people in this country are relatively wealthy, if only they'd compare themselves to folks in Darfur or Bangladesh instead of Posh and Becks they might realise how lucky they are.

Scrag Meister
11th October 2010, 07:37
Even the poorest people in this country are relatively wealthy, if only they'd compare themselves to folks in Darfur or Bangladesh instead of Posh and Becks they might realise how lucky they are.

Well said.

Comfortable financially and happy with your lot.

Wealth isn't just financial.

SupremeSpod
11th October 2010, 07:38

Thank God I wasn't born in a shit-stained piss-ant country. Oh, wait a minute...

SupremeSpod
11th October 2010, 07:44
I wasn't born in one of those either.

It's just become like that over the years.

<ZG fights to control his reactionary urges>

Come the revolution!

EternalOptimist
11th October 2010, 07:49
Posh and becks are wealthy ???. no, they just have money.

I get this feeling that if I had that amount of money, I would drink myself to death in a year, or become indolent. A little bit of grist is good for you I think. Like, a few low points make you enjoy the high points all the more
or maybe we all need to have something to moan about, like AtW said, 'oh fck work at 8. again'

:rolleyes:

MarillionFan
11th October 2010, 08:00
2. Not having to work. :emb

gingerjedi
11th October 2010, 08:08
Posh and becks are wealthy ???. no, they just have money.

I get this feeling that if I had that amount of money, I would drink myself to death in a year, or become indolent. A little bit of grist is good for you I think. Like, a few low points make you enjoy the high points all the more
or maybe we all need to have something to moan about, like AtW said, 'oh fck work at 8. again'

Would you though? Deep down I think people drink to forget, given mega wealth I think I'd be having early nights so I'd be fresh for the Sunseeker skipper course/jet fighter training etc etc.

Mich the Tester
11th October 2010, 08:27
Thank God I wasn't born in a tulip-stained piss-ant country. Oh, wait a minute...

I was. Didn't stay for long though.

EternalOptimist
11th October 2010, 08:37
Would you though? Deep down I think people drink to forget, given mega wealth I think I'd be having early nights so I'd be fresh for the Sunseeker skipper course/jet fighter training etc etc.

I would, probably. I used to drink to forget, but now I cant remember what i was trying to forget. it was bad though. very bad. something to do with cucumber and a citrus fruit

Troll
11th October 2010, 08:39
I wasn't born in one of those either.

It's just become like that over the last 13 years.

FTFY

Mich the Tester
11th October 2010, 08:51
There was a picture in the times this morning of a 42 year old woman from Glasgow who'd been in prison, lives on benefits and suffers from epilepsy. She looked, to my eyes, about 85. I thought immediately of Lady Tester, who is just over 40, but is healthy, fit and attractive. Of course, the social-economic difference between the unemployed sick woman from Glasgow and a degree educated nursing manager from a comfortable area is enormous, and perhaps that brings us to a good definition of wealth;
- good health
- ability to dress well in your chosen style
- ability to choose what to eat, eat healthily and whether to eat in or out
- access to sports, leisure and cultural activities
- access to furthering one's education
- ability to rely on one's own income without state assistance
- lack of debt

This leaves us with a definition which is rather fragile, and rightly so; some misfortune like an accident in the car, a sudden and destructive illness like MS, or losing one's job could leave anybody in a very sticky situation; you'd possibly also find, if you suddenly fell down the socio-economic tree, that many of your 'friends' would desert you.

AtW
11th October 2010, 08:53
This leaves us with a definition which is rather fragile, and rightly so; some misfortune like an accident in the car, a sudden and destructive illness like MS, or losing one's job could leave anybody in a very sticky situation; you'd possibly also find, if you suddenly fell down the socio-economic tree, that many of your 'friends' would desert you.

Add getting banned on CUK to the list :eyes

SupremeSpod
11th October 2010, 09:01
Add being a socially inept commie pinko lefty subversist to the list :eyes

ftfy

EternalOptimist
11th October 2010, 09:10
- good health
- ability to dress well in your chosen style
- ability to choose what to eat, eat healthily and whether to eat in or out
- access to sports, leisure and cultural activities
- access to furthering one's education
- ability to rely on one's own income without state assistance
- lack of debt

I find this interesting. Its a way of defining wealth that is almost 100% social. If you were a castaway on a desert island, the only one that would be applicable from this list is health.
Maybe castaways cant be wealthy or poor. Maybe wealth is simply a measure of how high up the tree you are, and its meaningless because maybe the castaway was right after all.

HairyArsedBloke
11th October 2010, 09:11

:banana: :glasses

I don't have to, but I often am. However, not today.

lukemg
11th October 2010, 09:13
Anyone see Sur/Lord Shug with Piers Morgan the other night. Asked who was the richest Shug says it should be different, it should be who can write a cheque today that will be cashed. He reckoned he could chuck £100m+ and it would be honoured as opposed to various stock owners with the wealth tied up.
No-one looked to be struggling there though !

SupremeSpod
11th October 2010, 09:13
I find this interesting. Its a way of defining wealth that is almost 100% social. If you were a castaway on a desert island, the only one that would be applicable from this list is health.
Maybe castaways cant be wealthy or poor. Maybe wealth is simply a measure of how high up the tree you are, and its meaningless because maybe the castaway was right after all.

I'm reasonably well-off because I earn a lot of money. If I don't work then I don't get paid and eventually things will turn to ratsh!t.

Therefore I would not consider myself as "wealthy". My earning potential is great, my wealth not so.

Mich the Tester
11th October 2010, 09:16

:rolleyes:If the castaway is healthy and has the strength and skill to make use of his surroundings, he can build a shelter, provide himself with water and food, some basic home comforts and some amusement to pass the time. He would have no use for money, unless some floating shop passes by regularly. Given health he can explore his environment and learn more about what it offers.

Bunk
11th October 2010, 09:20
I'm not sure what terms I'd use to define them but I have a couple of benchmarks for wealth in my mind. First is being able to live comfortably off the interest on your cash without touching the capital. The next step up is being able to live off the interest on the interest so your capital is still growing and you're living comfortably.

EternalOptimist
11th October 2010, 09:29
If the castaway is healthy and has the strength and skill to make use of his surroundings, he can build a shelter, provide himself with water and food, some basic home comforts and some amusement to pass the time. He would have no use for money, unless some floating shop passes by regularly. Given health he can explore his environment and learn more about what it offers.

My hamster is wealthier than me. he is healthy, has his little wheel, never ending supply of water and food, and security.

I suppose none of here are castaways, So we have to rely on the social indicators. If you are so far up the tree that you are piddling down on more people than are piddling on you, you are wealthy.

dum de dum de dum de dum. de dum.

Spacecadet
11th October 2010, 10:14
I always thought that the definition of wealthy was to have enough money to be able to generate an income from that money without having to work.

Summed up with the phrase
A true gentleman has no discernible source of income

gingerjedi
11th October 2010, 10:15
My hamster is wealthier than me. he is healthy, has his little wheel, never ending supply of water and food, and security.

dum de dum de dum de dum. de dum.

In his world you are god, as long as he keeps you happy by running on his little wheel the food and water keep coming.

You have great responsibility.:D

Mich the Tester
11th October 2010, 10:23
In his world you are god, as long as he keeps you happy by running on his little wheel the food and water keep coming.

You have great responsibility.:D

Does EO's hamster run on his little wheel to please the almighty EO, or to divert himself from the tedium of living in a cage?

Jog On
11th October 2010, 10:26
I'm not sure what terms I'd use to define them but I have a couple of benchmarks for wealth in my mind. First is being able to live comfortably off the interest on your cash without touching the capital. The next step up is being able to live off the interest on the interest so your capital is still growing and you're living comfortably.

WHS

I always thought that the definition of wealthy was to have enough money to be able to generate an income from that money without having to work.

Summed up with the phrase
A true gentleman has no discernible source of income

WHS

'Financial freedom' is a popular term bandied about. Another is 'work optional' where you can choose to work, what work you do, when and on your own terms while your investments/assets provide a comfortable income whilst growing regardless of how you choose to spend your time.

I read a book a couple of years ago called the 4 hour workweek (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_4-Hour_Workweek) which starts with an interesting example.

Person A works a 60 hour week for a six figure income

Person B works 4 hours a week from wherever they want in the world and earns ~ £25k

Who's wealthier?

For me - wealth is financial freedom and the time to enjoy an abundant lifestyle with no worry about it running out or stopping if I stop 'working'.

EternalOptimist
11th October 2010, 10:26
Does EO's hamster run on his little wheel to please the almighty EO, or to divert himself from the tedium of living in a cage?

I allow my people to have free will. A Gods wealth is measured by the number of the faithful, so I may have one of his ribs away, and supply the fellow with a missus.

Mich the Tester
11th October 2010, 10:29
I allow my people to have free will. A Gods wealth is measured by the number of the faithful, so I may have one of his ribs away, and supply the fellow with a missus.

:rolleyes:You can´t just leave out the thoracic surgery and provide him with a Mrs Hamster anyway?

What a crap god.

EternalOptimist
11th October 2010, 10:32
You can´t just leave out the thoracic surgery and provide him with a Mrs Hamster anyway?

What a crap god.

Capital G if you dont mind.

My people must know that I am a Terrible God. No pain no gain. I bring them suffering so that they may love me more

SupremeSpod
11th October 2010, 10:34
Capital G if you dont mind.

My people must know that I am a Terrible God. No pain no gain. I bring them suffering so that they may love me more

Surely providing him with a Mrs is pain enough already...

(She is going to kill me...)

EternalOptimist
11th October 2010, 10:39
Most posters are confusing wealth with quality. including me.

maybe thats right, after all, its easy to imagine scenarios where you have unlimited wealth, but cant use it.

Imagine you were a chillean miner and you won 133 million on the euro lottery. wouldnt be much use would it ?

SupremeSpod
11th October 2010, 10:40
Most posters are confusing wealth with quality. including me.

maybe thats right, after all, its easy to imagine scenarios where you have unlimited wealth, but cant use it.

Imagine you were a chillean miner and you won 133 million on the euro lottery. wouldnt be much use would it ?

Ah, the 6ft chopsticks analogy...

Lumiere
11th October 2010, 10:43
* $2-4 million: The comfortable poor
* $4-10 million: The comfortably off
* $10-30 million: The comfortably wealthy
* $30-80 million: The lesser rich
* $80-150 million: The comfortably rich
* $150-200 million: The rich
* $200-400 million: The seriously rich
* $400-800 million: The truly rich
* $800 million - $1.998 billion: The filthy rich
* $1.998 billion and Above: The super rich

gingerjedi
11th October 2010, 10:48
I know how this hamster feels. :eyes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsCT2Ipmmdg&feature=related

EternalOptimist
11th October 2010, 10:56
It's true gj, these rascals hide stuff in the wheel. Instinct I suppose.
my Dongo fills his with the contents of his food bowl, so the noise contravenes several noise abatement acts of parliament. he makes more noise than a skeleton break dancing in a biscuit tin.

milanbenes
11th October 2010, 13:08

Agree with a lot of statements on here, Spod's as well

but Mich strikes a chord with the car scenario

and this is why, we should all be driving the biggest and safest cars we can afford and not the cheapest or most fuel effiecient cars

Milan.

d000hg
11th October 2010, 15:26
Even the poorest people in this country are relatively wealthy, if only they'd compare themselves to folks in Darfur or Bangladesh instead of Posh and Becks they might realise how lucky they are.Are you wealthier as a street urchin in the UK than India? Maybe a bit, but then they probably won't risk death from exposure.

I wonder if there is a league table of "best countries to be homeless in"...

milanbenes
11th October 2010, 15:46
on the contrary,

one of my Bob colleagues explained how in India, the richest man in India is infact the man on the street with no money because he wishes for nothing

Milan.

Mich the Tester
11th October 2010, 15:49

* Pretending you're richer than you are: The phallically challenged

MarillionFan
11th October 2010, 15:50

Where's Richie Rich???

Doggy Styles
11th October 2010, 16:14
I take the OP is the spirit I think it was meant - wealth is how much money and assets you've got. Otherwise we are confusing it with quality of life, which I think is something else.

Anyway, I always wanted to be filthy rich, because I like the sound of that, but looking at Lumiere's list that's further away than I thought.

MrGrunge
11th October 2010, 16:15
less than 2million dollars - struggling on a council estate?

Doggy Styles
11th October 2010, 16:23
less than 2million dollars - struggling on a council estate?In that list it's anything less than $800 million dollars.

One of my ex-classmates went to the US, started up his own software company and is known among us as being one of the "filthy rich", but I'm sure he's got a lot less than that. We'll have to find out how much and re-assess his sobriquet. He'll be upset.

Spacecadet
11th October 2010, 21:55
In that list it's anything less than $800 million dollars.

One of my ex-classmates went to the US, started up his own software company and is known among us as being one of the "filthy rich", but I'm sure he's got a lot less than that. We'll have to find out how much and re-assess his sobriquet. He'll be upset.

How is William anyway? I'd heard he's stood down from day to day running and handed over to a balding mentalist

Doggy Styles
11th October 2010, 22:10
How is William anyway? I'd heard he's stood down from day to day running and handed over to a balding mentalistNo, not him or anywhere near that amount of dosh. Not even in dimprawn's or threaded's class, I shouldn't imagine. Tens of millions though, which isn't to be sneezed at.

While we're on the subject, how much is threaded worth?

Spacecadet
11th October 2010, 22:14
While we're on the subject, how much is threaded worth?

How long is a piece of string?
With his time machine he just has to pop back a couple of days and he's won the euro millions (again)