• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sir Philip Green Gov't spending review

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sir Philip Green Gov't spending review

Sir Philip Green says government waste 'shocking'.

I'd be interested in reading this document.

Do you think it is for public consumption or Govt only?

The country would be better off if Sir Philip paid his fair share of tax.

Comment

In connection with this, on the News they said that X* number of IT contractors were paid £1000/day and no one knew what they did. I kid you not.

* I missed hearing the X figure

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
        The country would be better off if Sir Philip paid his fair share of tax.
        I was going to make a similar point as to whether, due to his tax arrangements, it was appropriate for him to head up this review but thought against it.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
          In connection with this, on the News they said that X* number of IT contractors were paid £1000/day and no one knew what they did. I kid you not.

* I missed hearing the X figure
          I spent 3 years at the MoD and nobody checked what I did on a day to day basis. The department was disbanding sometime in the future so they weren't allowed to recruit and fill the posts with permies, the solution was to get 3x contractors in to fill the seats until closure whether they were required or not.

Nowhere near £1000 a day but it was a shocking waste, saying that I was more than happy to go along with it.
          Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

i'm happy for him and others like him not to pay tax if they create jobs and keep workers in britain working

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
              I spent 3 years at the MoD and nobody checked what I did on a day to day basis. The department was disbanding sometime in the future so they weren't allowed to recruit and fill the posts with permies, the solution was to get 3x contractors in to fill the seats until closure whether they were required or not.

Nowhere near £1000 a day but it was a shocking waste, saying that I was more than happy to go along with it.
              My nephew is doing first line support on an MOD contract via Fujitsu which involves shift work.

He said during nights, there are virtually no calls yet Fujitsu, knowing this, still insist there are upto 6 of them working per shift.

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
              i'm happy for him and others like him not to pay tax if they create jobs and keep workers in britain working

Milan.
              There are plenty of businessmen who are able to do both.

Why can't he?
              Last edited by Clippy; 11 October 2010, 14:14.

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
                There are plenty of businessmen who are able to do both.

Why can't he?
                WHS

LIke HP

BBC News - Hewlett Packard accused of job cut 'butchery'
                Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Whether or not you disagree with his stance regarding coughing up his taxes in the UK (I personally agree with the others that he should), he is still eminently well-placed to pass judgment on the fiasco that has been allowed to carry on unchecked for years in the country's public services.
                  It is a disgrace, and hopefully this public highlighting of it will result in much-needed, and overdue, change.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Firstly I agree that Philip Green should be paying his taxes in the UK, and I hope using him for this report does not detract from what has been unearthed.

We all know of waste in the public sector, the show needs to be completely looked at from scratch, many civil servants still have working practices from the 1950's.

I know there is waste in the private sector but at least I am not paying that bill, if a private company wishes to waste money that is their look out, and if it makes them fat then competition will provide an alternative.
                    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

Working...
                    X