• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Writing a plan

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Writing a plan

To my mind, a good plan is a concise document that says;
    - what's going to be done
    - who's going to do it
    - when and where are they going to do it
    - when do we decide the job is done

So why does every company larger than about 3 people insist on using templates for 'test plans' and 'detail test plans' which comprise about 35 pages BEFORE any meaningful content has been added?

Why do we have to fill in all sorts of superfluous crap about methodologies that nobody really uses, standards that no sane person really applies, plus document history, distribution lists, template history, endless references to other documents and so on and so on, thereby meaning that writing and maintaining the 'plan' actually takes longer than making and delivering the bloody product, which is mostly an admin system upon which precisely zero human lives rely?

Is it just a means for some 'consultant' type to maintain the outward show of professionalism while actually producing nothing of value?
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

It can become even more convoluted if it is a "cunning" Plan.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Having retired from real contracting I'm doing stuff for own small business in PHP and Java. Haven't used either before but I just sling it all together using examples from the net and it works in a remarkably short time. Who needs plans and detailed designs? Never figured out what low level documentation is for either, that's what code comments are for.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
        Is it just a means for some 'consultant' type to maintain the outward show of professionalism while actually producing nothing of value?
        Have you ever seen the plans produced by Bob without the use of a templated approach?
        How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
          It can become even more convoluted if it is a "cunning" Plan.

It's either a pretence of professionalism or it´s obfuscation by hiding nasty details in a large pile of paperwork. Or both.

Comment

And another thing. Has anyone ever noticed that no matter how intricately some Project Manager prepares a GANT or PERT chart, nothing ever gets completed on time?
            Whatever happened to just putting someone in charge that was capable of coordinating more than one thing at a time?

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
              Whatever happened to just putting someone in charge that was capable of coordinating more than one thing at a time?

I met him once; nice chap, but he doesn´t have a Prince2 certificate.

Comment

A template in itself isn't bad, as it checks you've not missed anything obvious and forces a consistent structure that can be read more easily than every project being totally different.

But I'm with you, the template itself should be pretty empty.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  A template in itself isn't bad, as it checks you've not missed anything obvious and forces a consistent structure that can be read more easily than every project being totally different.

But I'm with you, the template itself should be pretty empty.
                  Yep, I see the value, but it should help in making a concise plan, not encourage the making of long documents for the sake of subsidizing the paper industry.

Comment

I love it when a plan comes together!
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                    X