• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is it o.k to be Prejudiced \ Racist today

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it o.k to be Prejudiced \ Racist today

I'm not saying that anyone is or isn't racist - I don't want to get drawn into the whole 'what is racism' debate.

But is it more acceptable to express a prejudiced \ racist viewpoint these days?

Discuss. . . . .
    "The Kop's exclusive, an institution, and if you're a member of the Kop you feel you're a member of a society, you've got thousands of friends around you and they're united and loyal"

What do you define as "these days"? There is clearly less casual racism than, say, 50 years ago but maybe there is more anti-Islamic feeling this week than there was last week.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Evil
      I'm not saying that anyone is or isn't racist - I don't want to get drawn into the whole 'what is racism' debate.

But is it more acceptable to express a prejudiced \ racist viewpoint these days?

Discuss. . . . .
      It just makes the job easier for our brain. We do not have to think about someone and try to make a judgement based on what we know about this person. It's easier to think that he/she is bad/good because belongs to race X, religion Y, nationality Z. This way we can switch off our brain and limit the amount of neurons in use.
      I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

When I was a young lad one of my favorite songs was by the Stranglers 'I feel like a ***'

you couldnt get away with it these days

(\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer Box
          What do you define as "these days"? There is clearly less casual racism than, say, 50 years ago but maybe there is more anti-Islamic feeling this week than there was last week.
          Being "anti-Islamic" has not much to do with racism, has it?

Comment

Originally posted by punkie
            Being "anti-Islamic" has not much to do with racism, has it?
            No, but it does with prejudice, which is also what the thread originator asked.

Comment

Let's say over the last year or two.

It seems to me that it was turned up a notch when the Tories launched their manifesto last year, followed by the London bombings, now cartoons, Hamza, Griffin trial etc.

It just seems more and more O.K to say I hate all ****** or ******.
              "The Kop's exclusive, an institution, and if you're a member of the Kop you feel you're a member of a society, you've got thousands of friends around you and they're united and loyal"

Comment

No, but it does with prejudice, which is also what the thread originator asked.

Correct . . . I also said I don't want to get into defining Racism, hence the addition of the word prejudice. . . . .

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist
                  When I was a young lad one of my favorite songs was by the Stranglers 'I feel like a ***'

you couldnt get away with it these days

What about John Lennon - "Woman is the N*gg*r of the World."

Sexist and racist in one song title.

Dr Evil, what's the fascination in this topic?

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill
                    What about John Lennon - Woman is the ****** of the World.

Sexist and racist in one song title.

Dr Evil, what's the fascination in this topic?
                    absolutely none - actually I hate the topic, but look around you . . . . .

Comment

Working...
                    X