• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Inflation higher than expected

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inflation higher than expected

Inflation remained stubbornly high at 3.1% today...

low

Inflation higher than expected (feign surprise), it will come down soon, largest increase for that period since records began, unlikely to prevent the Monetary Policy Committee from implementing more quantitative easing, your savings are safe with us

Higher clothing prices keep inflation up - Business News, Business - The Independent

Figures due to be published this week show [car insurance] premiums for 17 to 22-year-olds have risen by 47% in a year

Young male drivers are paying the most, with the average of the three cheapest quotes they get being £2,457.

BBC News - Car insurance costs rise by new record, says AA

At least youngsters will get used to 47% inflation before the rest of us, as they drive around in their uninsured cars.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
      Figures due to be published this week show [car insurance] premiums for 17 to 22-year-olds have risen by 47% in a year

Young male drivers are paying the most, with the average of the three cheapest quotes they get being £2,457.

BBC News - Car insurance costs rise by new record, says AA

At least youngsters will get used to 47% inflation before the rest of us, as they drive around in their uninsured cars.
      I have just had one policy increased by £600 @ year after adding 2nd sprog to the policy...ouch!

I can see why so many youngsters go uninsured these days
      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Official Sminki

The largest downward pressures to the change in CPI inflation came from a variety of transport costs:

• air transport where fares fell by 27.8 per cent this year compared with a fall of 23.8 per cent a year ago. The largest downward effects came from long haul and, to a lesser extent, European routes
        The largest upward pressures to the change in CPI inflation came from:
        • clothing and footwear where prices overall rose by 6.4 per cent this year, a record rise for the August to September period. The largest upward effect came from women’s outerwear where prices rose sharply this year with the 2010 autumn season
        • food where the largest upward effects came from meat and fruit. Meat prices rose by 0.3 per cent between August and September this year but fell by 1.2 per cent a year ago. The fall last year was a record for an August to September period. Fruit prices overall fell between August and September this year but by less than a year ago
        Next year pensions and benefits are going to be index on CPI because it better represents the spending patterns of these groups - it's only fair.
        How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
        Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
          I have just had one policy increased by £600 @ year after adding 2nd sprog to the policy...ouch!

I can see why so many youngsters go uninsured these days
          Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

I had to laugh when I heard this.
            I received a speculative car insurance offer in September from the AA. I only have breakdown insurance with them, but they wanted to sell me car insurance too. Their quote was £460 for the year.
            My actual renewal with current insurer came down this year from £240 to £212

I think that news article is just a biased view of the world according to the AA.

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
              Unless said sprog is useful for driving you home from the pub, I would tell them the clear off and buy their own car and insurance with their paper round money

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
                Unless said sprog is useful for driving you home from the pub, I would tell them the clear off and buy their own car and insurance with their paper round money
                Harsh but fair!!

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
                  I had to laugh when I heard this.
                  I received a speculative car insurance offer in September from the AA. I only have breakdown insurance with them, but they wanted to sell me car insurance too. Their quote was £460 for the year.
                  My actual renewal with current insurer came down this year from £240 to £212

I think that news article is just a biased view of the world according to the AA.
                  I had one of those letters from the AA too. They provided comparative quotes with other car insurance brokers, including Direct Line, who I'm with. The quotes they showed however were enormous, even bigger than their own quote, but nothing like what I paid last year...

Comment

Does anyone get the impression young people have been handed the tulipty end of the baby boomer/Brown legacy stick? They may never be able to afford to buy a house, car insurance, they come out of university with wide eyes and big debts (whereas we got paid to go) and will have to keep the long lived boomers comfortably in retirement too, and that's yet to kick off. Isn't there some way we could make them pay more for their smartphones too? Oh, yeah, they will likely be on minimum wage. No house, no car, saddled with debt, no prospects. Thank goodness they don't know any better. Boomed.

Comment

Working...
                    X