• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PROMOTED!! Head of Team!!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PROMOTED!! Head of Team!!!

Wow! I have only been at the client a number of weeks and this is only my first contract but WOW!

I was asked to give the once over of the DB model for a new application. I was a little hesitant as I am only one of the team and was new. They'd been working on it for about 3 months.

When I went through it, there were mistakes everywhere. The developers were coding directly against source tables, no indexing, no stored procedures! Really really basic stuff. I made some recommendations and have spent the last two weekends and some late nights making some structural changes.

Cut along story short. It all kicked off in a review with the PM & IT Director, the Lead Developer had a hissy fit, so did the lead DBA. Both were contractors and both had the contracts immediately cancelled!!!

I've just been offered an extension plus a £100 per day rise to take the lead. Life is good :-)

Has this ever happened to anyone before on a contract?

Originally posted by MayContainNuts View Post
    Wow! I have only been at the client a number of weeks and this is only my first contract but WOW!

I was asked to give the once over of the DB model for a new application. I was a little hesitant as I am only one of the team and was new. They'd been working on it for about 3 months.

When I went through it, there were mistakes everywhere. The developers were coding directly against source tables, no indexing, no stored procedures! Really really basic stuff. I made some recommendations and have spent the last two weekends and some late nights making some structural changes.

Cut along story short. It all kicked off in a review with the PM & IT Director, the Lead Developer had a hissy fit, so did the lead DBA. Both were contractors and both had the contracts immediately cancelled!!!

I've just been offered an extension plus a £100 per day rise to take the lead. Life is good :-)

Has this ever happened to anyone before on a contract?
    Yes. But when they woke up everything had reverted back to normal.

HTH
    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Yep, and all that, but the trick is to get a rate rise without any extra responsibility. Still, enjoy your newfound riches, and as an old Jewish saying goes, I wish you lots of staff.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Well done!

You need to take a look at your CV, you were under selling and under pricing yourself

No, it has never happened to me, I always like to over sell/over price
        Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Let me make sure I've understood correctly...

You're now doing 3 peoples' work for an extra £100 per day.

Congrats BTW.

Comment

I can't remember, is MCN a sockie? If not, good job.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

So they cancelled the contracts of the Lead DBA and the Lead Dev, who are probably on £400 - £600+ a day and they give you £100 a day rise.

Bet ClientCo is well chuffed, even more than you.
              Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                I can't remember, is MCN a sockie? If not, good job.
                Reborn I think, don't remember his banned name.
                Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
                  So they cancelled the contracts of the Lead DBA and the Lead Dev, who are probably on £400 - £600+ a day and they give you £100 a day rise.

Exactly. But look on the brightside - He's only been in charge a day and he's already a grand a day under budget.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post

I was on £500, now £600. They're also hiring a new Lead Developer, I'm only taking over on the DB side!

I'd been perm for a few years back, had an 18 month break, then moved back into my first contract!

It's a step up but I'm up for it!

Thanks may pop out for a drinkie to celebrate! :-)

Comment

Working...
                    X