• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

We are all Danes now

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We are all Danes now

By Jeff Jacoby, Boston Globe Columnist, February 5, 2006

HINDUS CONSIDER it sacrilegious to eat meat from cows, so when a Danish supermarket ran a sale on beef and veal last fall, Hindus everywhere reacted with outrage. India recalled its ambassador to Copenhagen, and Danish flags were burned in Calcutta, Bombay, and Delhi. A Hindu mob in Sri Lanka severely beat two employees of a Danish-owned firm, and demonstrators in Nepal chanted: ''War on Denmark! Death to Denmark!"In many places, shops selling Dansk china or Lego toys were attacked by rioters, and two Danish embassies were firebombed.

It didn't happen, of course.

Hindus may consider it odious to use cows as food, but they do not resort to boycotts, threats, and violence when non-Hindus eat hamburger or steak. They do not demand that everyone abide by the strictures of Hinduism and avoid words and deeds that Hindus might find upsetting.

The same is true of Christians, Jews, Buddhists, Mormons: They don't lash out in violence when their religious sensibilities are offended. They certainly don't expect their beliefs to be immune from criticism, mockery, or dissent.

But radical Muslims do.

The current uproar over cartoons of the Muslim prophet Mohammed published in a Danish newspaper illustrates yet again the fascist intolerance that is at the heart of radical Islam.

Jyllands-Posten, Denmark's largest daily, commissioned the cartoons to make a point about freedom of speech. It was protesting the climate of intimidation that had made it impossible for a Danish author to find an illustrator for his children's book about Mohammed. No artist would agree to illustrate the book for fear of being harmed by Muslim extremists.

We are all Danes now? I do hope not. Not the nicest group of people in the world. Do remember that the English word "danegeld" comes about due to Danish foreign policy.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Temptation's page flies out the door
      You follow, find yourself at war

Watch waterfalls of pity roar
      You feel to moan but unlike before

You discover

That you'd just be
      One more person crying.

Comment

I'll have a pint of whatever Alfred is on.

Comment

An' though the rules of the road have been lodged
          It's only people's games that you got to dodge

And it's alright, Ma, I can make it.

Comment

And if my thought-dreams could be seen,
            They'd probably put my head in a guillotine...

Comment

and so does Alf ascribe his prose
              to worship at the throne of those
              who would upon their leaders say
              chop off our heads for being gay

Comment

Good article there. Let's not forget that the cartoons that actually kicked it all off were the ones fabricated by an Islamic cleric (showing Mohammed with a pig's head, etc).

Comment

Working...
                X