• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What's the point

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the point

of sending my kids to university? 3-4 years of hard study, boozy nights and they come out with a piece of paper that says degree on it. Yet degrees seem to take less priority these days in the job market. Linky

Is this piece of paper really worth the 30K price tag and lifetime of repayment? Or are they better getting out into the workplace as soon as possible and furthering themselves through the OU, nightschool or college placement schemes?

Any advice is appreciated, although I have 12 years before SY03 will be of university age. Any "putting by" measures recommended will need to be multiplied by 3 as I have 3 little cherubs.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    of sending my kids to university? 3-4 years of hard study, boozy nights and they come out with a piece of paper that says degree on it. Yet degrees seem to take less priority these days in the job market. Linky

Is this piece of paper really worth the 30K price tag and lifetime of repayment? Or are they better getting out into the workplace as soon as possible and furthering themselves through the OU, nightschool or college placement schemes?

Any advice is appreciated, although I have 12 years before SY03 will be of university age. Any "putting by" measures recommended will need to be multiplied by 3 as I have 3 little cherubs.
    I'm thinking exactly the same thing. Kids are 11 and 9 (and of course they may not WANT to go) but perhaps I should start saving now. Mrs Flubster and I were thinking of giving the kids the options of a fund that was up to them to use for whatever they wanted (Uni, house deposit, wedding, crack cocaine) then kick the buggers out when they reach 18. Or maybe that was a dream....
    Illegitimus non carborundum est!

Comment

It doesn't seem well thought out.

OK, so the parents have to foot the bill. Well in that case do something about savings & inflation so we can save for it.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post

OK, so the parents have to foot the bill. Well in that case do something about savings & inflation so we can save for it.
        Well said Mr MarillionFan!!

<pinches self>

yep, awake, just.

Comment

My nearly 14yr old wants to be a lawyer. I'd better start saving now

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
            My nearly 14yr old wants to be a lawyer. I'd better start saving now
            whoring myself out

Comment

Get your kids to learn a Euro language, and then they can do a degree in Europe. I understand the fees are minute in say Holland, compared with the UK. Probably get more kudos too!
              Another alternative is to move to Scotland. But maybe that would be too extreme for certain posters...
              Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post

And child benefit has just been cut, so it's even harder for certain families to put by.

Comment

Student fees: the answer may lie overseas | Money | The Observer

Universities in Holland were offering to "go Dutch" and pay British students' travel costs, and Maastricht university offers eight courses taught in English with fees at an attractive £1,500 a year, the same price paid by the locals.

Although many universities abroad compare favourably with UK universities, according to world rankings, exam grades – a major hurdle here – are often not a barrier overseas, where overall costs are also often cheaper. If fees do rise to £10,000, many of the world's top universities will be cheaper and European destinations can be as easy to get to as those in Britain.

Huntington suggests: "For real value, try Denmark, Sweden and Norway, where there are no fees,. In Holland, as long as you have A-levels you get in and get free travel throughout the country. Melbourne, one of Australia's top universities, will consider B grades and you can apply now as term doesn't start until February."
                  Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

But people like Mitch live there

Comment

Working...
                    X