• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reporting project slippage

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reporting project slippage

In the past I have reported project slippage, announced delays, risks, issues etc. No one likes this news and it's better not to be the messenger if you can help it.

Lately the phrase that seems in common parlance is "moved to the right"

Example :

As the business changed the requirements we needed to conduct an impact analysis. As a result of this the deliverable is much larger and hence the project plan has "moved to the right"
    Doesn't seem to evoke the same emotions as "the project has slipped"
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

"Deadline passed without event or alarm"
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
      In the past I have reported project slippage, announced delays, risks, issues etc. No one likes this news and it's better not to be the messenger if you can help it.

Example :

It's not new - I've worked extensively on the NHS National Programme for IT and there's been plenty of this. 'Moves to the right' does make it sound like you're going to deport all non-Aryan project team members.

Comment

Example :

That wouldn't fly here.

When I report slippage I get 2 questions:

1) Who is to blame?
        2) What are you going to do to fix it?

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
          That wouldn't fly here.

1) Who is to blame?
          1) Somebody who's just left
          2) Send you an invoice

Comment

Example :

As the business changed the requirements we needed to conduct an impact analysis. As a result of this the deliverable is much larger and hence the project plan has "moved to the right"
            In your example, the project hasn't slipped. Requirements have changed.

Hth.

My suggestion would be for you to find a job that you can do.

Comment

That wouldn't fly here.

1) Who is to blame?
              1) In the example above the slippage was caused by a change in requirements
              2) Reprioritise the requirements and deliver the remainder in a later phase.

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
                In your example, the project hasn't slipped. Requirements have changed.

Hth.

My suggestion would be for you to find a job that you can do.
                1) You're a crap troll
                2) You look stupid for not understanding that a change in requirements could introduce slippage.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                  1) Somebody who's just left
                  2) Send you an invoice
                  That answer will see you revert to your point 1) above sharpish.

Comment

That answer will see you revert to your point 1) above sharpish.
                    Fine, if it's such a tulipty clientco I'll go.

Comment

Working...
                    X