• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Another reason to give traditional pensions a miss

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another reason to give traditional pensions a miss

BBC News - Tax relief on pensions to be reduced

The Treasury is due to announce sharp restrictions on the amount of tax-free income that savers can put in pensions.

The annual limit is expected to be reduced from £255,000 to £40,000.

More fiddling with the rules, higher and higher retirement age. Will anyone actually see a penny of the money back?

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    BBC News - Tax relief on pensions to be reduced

More fiddling with the rules, higher and higher retirement age. Will anyone actually see a penny of the money back?
    A lot of very silly short-term thinking going on. Tuition fees, lack of investment opportunities, scrapping child benefits, changes to pensions.

All the stuff that the tories of old were clued up on, all thrown out with the bathwater.

Frankly add 5 p to income tax and just get it over with.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post

Frankly add 5 p to income tax and just get it over with.
      Indeed. I'm only earning miminum wage, but I think I could accept the rise and survive.

Comment

Indeed. I'm only earning miminum wage, but I think I could accept the rise and survive.

Fair's fair.

Add 5p to income tax across the board.
        Cut dole benefits by half
        Logans run Carousel for anyone out of work two years

Simples

and shoot people who say simples.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
          Fair enough.

Bang.

You're dead.

Simples

Oh bugger

ftfy

Comment

Due to people living longer the rate also goes down continually. My bro in law retired about 10 years ago and got 12%. I got 6%. By the time some of you lot retire they' be charging you interest.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
              Add 5p to income tax across the board.
              I think 1p on income tax only makes like 2 bln per year, that's exactly **** all when it comes to massive deficit.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                I think 1p on income tax only makes like 2 bln per year, that's exactly **** all when it comes to massive deficit.
                UK National Debt Clock - No-nonsense Guide to Britain's Debt Crisis

I don't know, £2 bln will pay off 0.2%

Comment

So that 5% across the board income tax hike would be needed just to repay interest rates..

Comment

Working...
                  X