• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Endowment Policies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Endowment Policies

After paying £25,000 into a Standard Life endowment policy, 15 years on; what would you expect get back? Well with my policy, in now worth £13,000, much less that what I paid in. My money would have been better invested in a shoe box or under the mattress. Standard Life have done very well out the deal making £12k in fees for their expertise in investing my cash.

Never trust anyone with your hard earned money.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    Never trust anyone with your hard earned money.
    A hard lesson learned... does that figure include the terminal bonus?
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

If you'd had bought gold instead it would be worth about £1 million pounds instead.

Endowment. Is it the 1980's again?

Comment

You should have invested money into some solid economics degree even if it's from ex Poly - would have cost only few grand, the rest you could have spend on beer.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          If you'd had bought gold instead it would be worth about £1 million pounds instead.

Endowment. Is it the 1980's again?

oh dear

let me hear that again,

you invested 25k in an endowment policy and after 15 years you now have 13k

that for sure, is a lesson to all

worst is, I am sure you are not alone, not the only one who had this

what a corker eh

Milan.

Comment

Scottish company... nuff said
            How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Mine performed about the same before I cashed it in.

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                A hard lesson learned... does that figure include the terminal bonus?
                Yep!
                "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Yep - we got 'compensation' for a missold endowment - the compensation was the money back + interest at an agreed rate (not sure who agreed it) but it was around 5 - 7 % a year. About 20K more than the endowment was worth (a lot less than we'd put in).

Comment

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
                    Yep - we got 'compensation' for a missold endowment - the compensation was the money back + interest at an agreed rate (not sure who agreed it) but it was around 5 - 7 % a year. About 20K more than the endowment was worth (a lot less than we'd put in).

Think about it with these endowments. You buy into a "fund" that is valued by company you put the money into to. Wow, what a surprise, the fund is worth less than you paid in. So where did the money go then? Oh, I see, you are all getting million pound bonuses...

Talk about ponzi.

Comment

Working...
                    X