• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Islamic face-veil part of 'British way of life'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Islamic face-veil part of 'British way of life'

you knew it would happen

The full Islamic face-veil is a part of the “British way of life” and should be celebrated along with religious symbols such as the crucifix, according to a report published today.
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Didn't the Pope say something similar?

Comment

But in a new report from think-tank Civitas, Alveena Malik, a former faith adviser to the last Labour government, said: “We in Britain need to take a different direction from others in Europe and to accept the veil as part of a modern British way of life.”

Oh, so it's not a remnant from a medieval, misogynous, middle-eastern way of life then?

Comment

It does seem that those who are for the veil are Muslim men and newly converted British women. Those women from ethic minorities who are wearing it seem to be against it.
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
          newly converted British women.
          Mischief makers. The same type that once would have married a West Indian yardie to annoy their parents.

Comment

Seems the French have a better approach

yay!!
            How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

If you're going to consider Christianity part of British culture, why not Islam? The only difference is when each was introduced to the country... Christianity was brought in ages ago and institutionalised, but there ain't anything English about it, no matter how Aryan they make Jesus look

I'm pretty surprised France went that way, actually. Much as they claim it's about "protecting women" I think it's pretty clear the issue is about non Muslims being uncomfortable with not seeing their faces... if the rule was to cover all skin but the face the fuss would never have come about. If France want to ban it for that reason then fine, but at least be honest about it.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                If you're going to consider Christianity part of British culture, why not Islam? The only difference is when each was introduced to the country... Christianity was brought in ages ago and institutionalised, but there ain't anything English about it, no matter how Aryan they make Jesus look

I'm pretty surprised France went that way, actually. Much as they claim it's about "protecting women" I think it's pretty clear the issue is about non Muslims being uncomfortable with not seeing their faces... if the rule was to cover all skin but the face the fuss would never have come about. If France want to ban it for that reason then fine, but at least be honest about it.
                Go and read the Koran, it is a political ideology to unite Arabs. If you are for Islam then God shows you mercy. If you are against it then you are subhuman. Mohamed was a merchant (a sales person) he later led wars. I can't compare it with the basis of Christianity even though Christianity has been corrupted. When did Jesus ever execute non believers?
                "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Quite. Islam has nothing whatever in common with a democracy based on freedom of choice. There's a good reason why apologists for it always cite Moorish Spain when they spout about tolerant Islam rather than advance more relevant arguments from societies today, it is because what we would call tolerance does not exist in the Islamic world.

PS Although I do think too much is made of the veil, it is not in itself that important. Banning a symbol of female oppression does nothing to reduce the oppressive attitudes.
                  Last edited by xoggoth; 16 October 2010, 12:41.
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Lot of intolerant people castigating Islam for its intolerance.
                    God bless the Daily Wail!!

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Working...
                    X