• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

It's getting interesting in France

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's getting interesting in France

A fifth day of protests in France against proposed pension reforms has brought 825,000 people on to the streets, police say, although unions put the figure at 2.5m to 3m.
    Most oil refineries have been hit by strike action, causing fuel shortages at some airports and filling stations.

All 12 refineries in mainland France have been affected by strike action. Ten have shut down or are in the process of closing. A number of fuel depots have been blockaded.
    Continue reading the main story
    “Start Quote

France also has a strategic fuel reserve which holds up to three months of supplies.

However, some 10% of filling stations have run out of petrol and panic buying has broken out in some areas.
    Continue reading the main story
    In Marseille, rubbish is piling up around the port amid a strike by bin collectors that has now lasted four days.

More than 300 high schools have been affected by strikes and blockades - about one in 15 across the country - as students have joined the pension protests in the past week.

Lorry drivers will decide on Monday whether to join the strikes.

More than one million people took to the streets in the previous national protest on Tuesday, according to police. Trade unions organisers said 3.5m had taken part.
    All for a couple of years on the pension
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

The alternative is to keep the current retirement age but die younger.

Comment

At least people in the UK understand the need to raise state pension age, even if they don't all like it.

I'm genuinely not sure the French do.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
        The alternative is to keep the current retirement age but die younger.
        Yes, people keep bleating on that extending pension age is a breach of an agreement to retire at a certain age - having paid their contributions during their working life.

What's often forgotten (not talked about) is that the recipient has one additional obligation - to die in a sufficiently prompt fashion - and we're failing in that respect.

Comment

At least people in the UK prefer to stay in and watch X-Factor than bothering about anything as important as pensions, even if they don't all like it.

FTFY
          If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD View Post
            FTFY
            True

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
              All for a couple of years on the pension
              I was surprised when they said it was just the pension age. I thought they'd be protesting about mass cuts and tax increases. Wonder what'll happen when they do that too?

Comment

At least people in the UK understand the need to raise state pension age, even if they don't all like it.

I did a gig in France and it always seemed more of a Socalist country than this one,
                but the question is can they really afford a 62 year retirement age.

If as some expect the Euro fails, then ex Euro members will find there financial state
                examined more closely by the markets.

Comment

Originally posted by Green Mango View Post
                  If as some expect the Euro fails, then ex Euro members will find there financial state examined more closely by the markets.
                  You'll retire and die way before euro fails (at least among key EU countries like Germany and France), so don't wait for it.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    You'll retire and die way before euro fails (at least among key EU countries like Germany and France), so don't wait for it.

HTH
                    The euro has a 50/50 chance of collapsing I'd say. The main problem being the PIIGS nations desperate to devalue the euro to try and export their way to recovery whereas other european nations want a stronger currency. It will be interesting finding out.
                    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Working...
                    X