• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rail fares 'to rise by up to 40 per cent'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rail fares 'to rise by up to 40 per cent'

"Channel 4 News said that instead of annual rises being pegged at one per cent above inflation, Philip Hammond, the Transport Secretary, could allow rises of three or even five per cent above inflation, leading to fare increases of up to 40 per cent over four years.

He has told train operating companies that the formula by which regulated rail fares are set may have to be changed, effectively cutting their subsidy from the public purse.

About half of fares are regulated, including popular commuter routes, season tickets and long-distance off-peak journeys – a total of about 600 million tickets a year.

They currently increase at the start of each year by the previous July's RPI inflation rate plus one per cent. With RPI at 4.8 per cent in July, that would already mean a 5.8 per cent hike in the cost of tickets from January.

Channel 4 News also suggested that typical commuter season tickets between Brighton and London could increase from £3,104 a year to £4,260 by 2015 and between Swindon and London from £6,640 to £9,130.

Any increased income arising from a change in the formula would go to Government coffers, rather than to rail companies.

Official sources declined to make any comment on the scale of any possible possible change to the formula, which would be announced in Chancellor George Osborne's Comprehensive Spending Review on Wednesday.

Mr Osborne asked the Department for Transport to prepare for cuts of anywhere between 25 per cent and 40 per cent to its annual budget of £15.9 billion.

Unlike the NHS and international aid, transport does not enjoy protection from cuts in the CSR and pressure on the DFT budget has been increased by political decisions to rein in reductions in spending on defence and schools.

A DfT spokesman said: "The scale of the financial crisis means that we will have to make some tough decisions in the spending review which concludes this autumn. We are not therefore in a position to determine next year's fare increase.

"It would be irresponsible, at a time when investment in the railway is under pressure, to rule anything out until the spending review is concluded."

A spokesman for the Association of Train Operating Companies said: "We understand that these are tough times for many people. The level of regulated fares is the Government's decision and the additional money raised by any changes would go back to the Government.

"Money from train tickets pays for around half the cost of running the railways with the rest coming from the taxpayer.

"The Government is reviewing whether to shift the costs away from the taxpayer and more towards the passenger.

"We will have to wait and see what final decision is taken.""

Source: Rail fares 'to rise by up to 40 per cent' - Telegraph

------

I reckon "cheap" off-peak tickets will be history soon, £120 standard return to London from Birmingham or more!

Just WTF are those fares so expensive - apparently subsidy is 50% of the cost of the tickets, so FFS, they should be like £240 standard and £500 first class for return peak time travel to London ffs, it cost only £30 one way to travel by Eurostar at much higher speed, much futher to another country ffs!

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Just WTF are those fares so expensive - apparently subsidy is 50% of the cost of the tickets, so FFS, they should be like £240 standard and £500 first class for return peak time travel to London ffs, it cost only £30 one way to travel by Eurostar at much higher speed
    It is all down to the simple laws of supply and demand. Concepts that probably never existed in the Soviet Utopia you grew up in AtW. Perhaps this will illuminate things for you....................

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
      It is all down to the simple laws of supply and demand. Concepts that probably never existed in the Soviet Utopia you grew up in AtW. Perhaps this will illuminate things for you....................
      Oh yes we did have that concept - massive demand and fook all supply, queue to buy a car (if you had cash) was like 20 years

Comment

"A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

YouTube - Il treno di Strelnikov - Strelnikov's train - Il Dottor Zivago
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            up to 40 per cent over four years
            Such shoddy journalism... but for once I'm on your side, the costs are astronomical.

I reckon I could buy a cheap 2nd hand car and hire a mate to drive my wife and I to Cornwall and back, cheaper than the cost of two regular return tickets.

Where does all the money go? How did we manage to run trains decades ago if they're so expensive?
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

Such shoddy journalism... but for once I'm on your side, the costs are astronomical.

I reckon I could buy a cheap 2nd hand car and hire a mate to drive my wife and I to Cornwall and back, cheaper than the cost of two regular return tickets.

Where does all the money go? How did we manage to run trains decades ago if they're so expensive?
              In general these days it's labour-intensive aspects that make an enterprise expensive in western countries But that doesn't seem to be the case with railways, as there are very few porters and drivers for the number of passengers a train carries.

I guess a large part of the expense must be making up for years, decades even, of under-investment in new trains and track and signal maintenance.
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                I guess a large part of the expense must be making up for years, decades even, of under-investment in new trains and track and signal maintenance.
                Why is it so expensive to make signals work? It's not like making a massive tunnel or building railway from scratch - the prices are totally bonkers even for standard class.

Comment

I remember oh so long ago (about 7 years back) that i could walk into Preston Station and buy a open return to London for £43. I think its around £200odd now.

I now drive down to London, park at a friend's house and bus in from there.
                  McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                  Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Working...
                  X