• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Plan B - How much to rip all your CDs to a harddrive?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plan B - How much to rip all your CDs to a harddrive?

I'm thinking of some Plan B's and one that I thought of is a simple business.

I come to your house and pick up all your CD's. Then I return in a day or two and give you them back plus a hard drive containing all your CD's ripped for you. (Alternatively, I copy the ripped CD's on to your PC, so you don't pay for the hard drive.)

How much would you pay for this service, per-CD?

Originally posted by aussielong View Post
    How much would you pay for this service, per-CD?
    Somewhere between all & fook - it has to be one of the easiest tasks to do on a 'puter, so not sure why anyone would want someone to do it for them.
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

And I'd hand you back your Betterware catalogue while I was at it.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

During the war recent boom, there were individuals in London offering this service.

I believe one of the guys even setup a counter in Selfridges.

Edit: PodServe
        Last edited by Clippy; 17 October 2010, 11:37.

Comment

Is it so daft? Been meaning to do it for ages. Easy to do but somehow I can never be bothered with the tedium of it. Stick CD in, click, click, click, wait around, click, click, pull cd out, put next one in. It's not as though transfer is fast, it could takes hours for an average collection.

Small jobs like that that people can't be bothered with would be great for gypsies to do. It used to be good when you had a chap come round sharpening things. That's another tedious "easy" job that's just too much effort in practice.
          Last edited by xoggoth; 17 October 2010, 12:22.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
            Is it so daft? Been meaning to do it for ages. Easy to do but somehow I can never be bothered with the tedium of it. Stick CD in, click, click, click, wait around, click, click, pull cd out, put next one in. It's not as though transfer is fast, it could takes hours for an average collection.
            I did mine while watching the telly. My Firewire DVD jobby makes pretty short work of this.

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
            Small jobs like that that people can't be bothered with would be great for gypsies to do. It used to be good when you had a chap come round sharpening things. That's another tedious "easy" job that's just too much effort in practice.
            Could be a goer for the "busy executive" types. More tedious is doing the same with LPs, but I can see a premium priced market there as long as you use quality kit. Forget those cheap 'n' nasty USB turntables. A quality turntable and amp are required if you want to appeal to the aficionado who cherishes his record collection. No nasty cheap audio cards on the computer either.
            Last edited by Sysman; 17 October 2010, 12:42.
            Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
              Somewhere between all & fook - it has to be one of the easiest tasks to do on a 'puter, so not sure why anyone would want someone to do it for them.
              People are a) lazy, and b) dumb. I know of a couple of guys who make a steady living assembling flat-pack furniture for people who either can't work out how to put it together, or can't be bothered.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                People are a) lazy, and b) dumb. I know of a couple of guys who make a steady living assembling flat-pack furniture for people who either can't work out how to put it together, or can't be bothered.
                Yes, you might make a living, but you will not make a contractors rate.

Then you will have the hassle of getting paid etc. I don't have cash on me, do you take cards etc. I need a VAT invoice etc. You wrecked my CD you will have to replace it. Dealing with the public is nasty, there would have to be lots and lots of cash to get me to do it.

HTH
                Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
                  Yes, you might make a living, but you will not make a contractors rate.
                  People who make flat-pack furniture for a living probably don't have great Java skills.

Then you will have the hassle of getting paid etc. I don't have cash on me, do you take cards etc. I need a VAT invoice etc. You wrecked my CD you will have to replace it. Dealing with the public is nasty, there would have to be lots and lots of cash to get me to do it.
                  Cash/cheque only, same as how you'd pay nearly any tradesman who visits your home.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                    I don't think it's easy. I have over 1000 CDs. So far i've done about 50 and its taken me quite a while. Most people have over 200 I reckon. Doing them one-by-one is boring.

I looked into getting an autoloader/batchripper which would mean the operation would be largely unmanned, costs about 2000 GBP to set up. I would just need someone to pick up the CD's and prepare the loader - students.

Funnily enough, I thought 1 pound per CD was reasonable too, which is what podserve.co.uk, are charging.

Can you imagine all the different customers CDs got mixed up though! Imagine they all landed on the floor in a huge pile. Disastor!!

Comment

Working...
                    X