• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Well done Andy! Another British win!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well done Andy! Another British win!

BBC Sport - Tennis - Andy Murray beats Roger Federer to win Shanghai Masters

Murray had played his best tennis of the year in beating Federer to win the Toronto Masters in August, and with a 7-5 career record in his favour he has repeatedly proved that the Swiss star's game is one he can counter over the best of three sets.
    Impressive stuff!
    Just needs to produce it at the Majors now. Plenty of time for that.
    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Managed to watch the final set, awesome play.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

He's Scottish, so WGAS
        How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Well done Murray. But I can't help thinking that Federer and Nadal save it for when it matters most, in the grand slams.

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
            He's Scottish, so WGAS
            Lots of people. Many of them not Scottish too.
            As for WGAS? Just poisonous little nonentities like you.
            HTH
            “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
              Well done Murray. But I can't help thinking that Federer and Nadal save it for when it matters most, in the grand slams.
              I can't imagine any player consciously does that, why would they? But either they subconsciously have an extra gear or more likely, they have better ability not to crumble under pressure. i.e. they don't play better in a Major final, everyone else plays worse than their best.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                He's Scottish, so WGAS
                What numb nuts said
                Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  I can't imagine any player consciously does that, why would they? But either they subconsciously have an extra gear or more likely, they have better ability not to crumble under pressure. i.e. they don't play better in a Major final, everyone else plays worse than their best.
                  It's to do with preparation. Sportsmen peak.

If this had been a grand slam, Federer's schedule over the preceding six weeks or so would have been different.

Having got several grand slams, Federer might be using this time of the year with its lesser tournaments to clear up niggling injuries picked up over the year, or do heavy strength-sapping training ahead of that big champions tournament in December and the Aussie Open in January, or simply spend time out on holiday with his family.

Comment

Good points, but I imagine Murray also plans to peak for the Majors if he really thinks he can win... and if he's not that's a bigger problem.

Regardless though, beating Nadal/Federer at any tournament is a major deal because those guys are a whole level above everyone else.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X