• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A hard 6 months can I ask my accountant for a discount?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A hard 6 months can I ask my accountant for a discount?

Hi there,

I'm hooked up with a large IT Accountancy firm, they recently doubled the cost of using them, since I haven't worked much in the last 6 months practically nothing. They charge 140pounds a month, thats 6x140 during that period I have only made around £2500.

Can I suggest a discount only until I find more long term work, if they refuse a discount should I look for another accountant?

why not phone them up and ask them for a discount, explain current situation

My accountants are flexible in these circumstances

Comment

Get another, my accountant (which charges considerably less than £140) will halve their fees whilst I'm not working.
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by trsisko View Post
        I'm hooked up with a large IT Accountancy firm, they recently doubled the cost of using them, since I haven't worked much in the last 6 months practically nothing. They charge 140pounds a month, thats 6x140 during that period I have only made around £2500.

Can I suggest a discount only until I find more long term work, if they refuse a discount should I look for another accountant?
        Ahh, I don't understand why you let them double their price to start with? What extra services are they providing for the additional fees? I'd be inclined to sack them if they tried it on me...
        Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

worth a try .."if you dont ask, you dont know!"

Better of changing accountants when you can. At £140 sounds like you are with Brooksons - so jump out quick before they mess you up and leave you alone in a mess

Comment

If you're not working much, I'd think about buying some accounts software and doing it yourself. Past few years have cost me £200 initially for accounts and payroll software and £70 a year for my accountant to do the corporation tax calculation.

Comment

Hard 6 months

Im with SJD and when I am not working, I can drop the monthly payt from £115 per month to around £30 per month (those numbers are guesses - I can't remember the exact)

Comment

Originally posted by SneakySimon View Post
                Im with SJD and when I am not working, I can drop the monthly payt from £115 per month to around £30 per month (those numbers are guesses - I can't remember the exact)
                Is that true?
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                X