• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Business leaders back spending cuts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Business leaders back spending cuts

Has this been discussed yet today?

BBC News - Business backing for George Osborne's spending cuts

The leaders of 35 of the UK's biggest companies have expressed their support for the government's plans for spending cuts running into billions of pounds.
    BBC business editor Robert Peston says that Mr Osborne could not be happier that a group of influential people, such as the 35 business leaders, has at last come out and said they want him to make the deep public spending cuts that he has been promising.
    Labour dismissed the letter as "politically motivated".
    Robert Peston said in his blog on the cuts that some of the signatories - such as Next chief executive Lord Wolfson and Paul Walsh of Diageo - were widely viewed as Conservative supporters.

Can't see labour getting approval from business leaders for anything
    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
    Can't see labour getting approval from business leaders for anything
    Nu Liebor was getting plenty of approval from the very same businesses in its time.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      Nu Liebor was getting plenty of approval from the very same businesses in its time.
      Quote?

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
        Quote?
        "Business leaders declare support for Labour"

Today's pro-Labour letter would seem to testify to the success of New Labour's "prawn cocktail offensive" in the City in which the party has worked hard to dispel its image of high taxation and high spending."

Source: Business leaders declare support for Labour - Business, News - The Independent

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          "Business leaders declare support for Labour"

Today's pro-Labour letter would seem to testify to the success of New Labour's "prawn cocktail offensive" in the City in which the party has worked hard to dispel its image of high taxation and high spending."

Source: Business leaders declare support for Labour - Business, News - The Independent
          Yes, I remember that.

Labour certainly "dispelled its image of high taxation and high spending".

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
            Yes, I remember that.

Labour certainly "dispelled its image of high taxation and high spending".
            Well I'm certainly paying less tax under the Tories, I've earned next to feck all this year.
            Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Of course they back spending cuts. It saves the government from having to come after them for the wholesale tax avoidance schemes most of them are pulling. I'm sure I read a figure of upto £12bn a year avoided by large UK based corporations through the use of blatant corporation tax avoidance schemes.

This Tory government are corrupt scum.
              Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

Originally posted by Alf W View Post
                So all those business were not avoiding such taxes under 13 years of Labour and only started it during it after this May's elections? If anything it is the Labour who are scum as they tolerated these businesses doing just that for along time.

Comment

Originally posted by Alf W View Post
                  Of course they back spending cuts. It saves the government from having to come after them for the wholesale tax avoidance schemes most of them are pulling. I'm sure I read a figure of upto £12bn a year avoided by large UK based corporations through the use of blatant corporation tax avoidance schemes.

What's wrong with using blatant corporation tax avoidance schemes?

It has always been a financial director's job to minimise tax exposure.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                    It has always been a financial director's job to minimise tax exposure.
                    Bollox - financial director's job is to ensure company has got sound finance (ie cashflow), money don't get stolen etc.

Comment

Working...
                    X