• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How should ale be drunk?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How should ale be drunk?

I'll add a poll just because I can, but I've basically got a few bottles of Ale... the two I can remember are GK IPA (fairly pale) and Hobgoblin (looks darkish, hard to be sure). I'm not sure if I should chill them or just keep in a cupboard at room temperature.

Is there a 'right' way or is it not that strict?
    Room temperature (20)
    60.00%
    Home fridge (4-8)
    10.00%
    Chilled (2)
    10.00%
    On the verge of freezing
    0.00%
    As cold as AndyW's heart
    20.00%
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Crap poll.. it should be around 10-12 degrees

[Edit] Although most people can't achieve 10-12C in their fridge, you could just take the beer out of the fridge 30 mins before drinking.
    Last edited by CheeseSlice; 18 October 2010, 19:30. Reason: Added a reference that also says 10-12C

Comment

Whatever your preference really. My taste is colder than room temp.

Most pumped beers are chilled or stored in cool cellars so I've never considered room temperature especially nice.

Comment

The correct cellar temperature for secondary conditioning of real ale is 54° - 55°F, or 12° - 13°C. The ale should still be at that temperature when it's dispensed.

Comment

You've left a gap around the correct temperature of about 12C.
          My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
            Crap poll.. it should be around 10-12 degrees

[Edit] Although most people can't achieve 10-12C in their fridge, you could just take the beer out of the fridge 30 mins before drinking.
            WHS^ Though I'd drink the Hobgoblin cold as I'm not a fan of the dark ruby beers.
            Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
              You've left a gap around the correct temperature of about 12C.
              So this would be roughly equivalent to keeping it in an unheated room, like a utility room or something?
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I personally prefer them cold.

I tell you what I do miss though is the cracking beers you could get at Firkin pubs when they still had their own breweries. I do miss a good pint of Dark Demon
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Nick has it spot on....it's the secondary conditioning that's the important bit. About 11 degrees in my book, but a couple of degrees does not make a sausage bit of difference.

However, since your real ale is likely to be pastuerised, filtered, filtered again, nuked and filtered then just drink it how you want as you are not wanting to drop the yeast or supsended protein out of suspension as in cask or bottle conditioned real-real ale.

Comment

Shouldn't it be out of a glass?
                    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
                    X