• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

If only Brits were as smart as the Norwegians

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If only Brits were as smart as the Norwegians

Norway 'petroleum fund' tops $500bn.

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
    What do you have to do to retire to Norway then.

Maybe the winters are so cold no one is collecting their pension.
    Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
      How many beers does that buy in Norway these days?
      Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
        How many beers does that buy in Norway these days?
        ISTC it would not be many.

Comment

Yep, while we have pissed the entire oil revenue pot away with nothing to show for it, Norway, along with a number of nations who have seen oil as a short term boost that will end in a reasonably short timeframe have taken the sensible precaution of saving a decent proportion of it and investing it for the nation to enjoy for many years after the oil has gone.
          And isn’t it nice when there is a general downturn in the world economy (inevitable) that you can smooth the impact of that through the revenue being generated from this fund.
          Alternatively, borrow as much as you can get hold of, to spend on increasingly inefficient black holes – known as public sector services where you get no return on the investment and end up virtually bankrupt – Oh, then claim you have ‘saved the world’…

Comment

I can see why Norway wants nothing to do with the EU, what's our excuse?
            Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
              I can see why Norway wants nothing to do with the EU, what's our excuse?
              Norway has a free trade and movement agreement with the EU via the EEA and EFTA; it's also a Schengen agreement member and participates in several other EU programmes, contributing about 200 million euros per year.
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                Norway has a free trade and movement agreement with the EU via the EEA and EFTA; it's also a Schengen agreement member and participates in several other EU programmes, contributing about 200 million euros per year.
                But the EU can't touch its pension pot.

Our state and public pension pot is nothing more than a future governments promise as Thatcher once pointed out.
                Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

In fact – This is a good way to look at contracting. It’s unlikely that the bump in revenue will last your whole career so it is a good idea to setup your own reserve fund. Although this does include your warchest, that needs to remain more ‘liquid’ to cover benchtime costs etc, if invested, this may result in being forced to sell at a time you wouldn’t want to.
                  I have a range of funds and individual shares for this buffer, which will finance my dotage as well with any luck ! This exists as my low maintenance plan B also. Kicking out an averaged 7.1% annual return, which I admit is steady rather than spectacular (SIPP is a somewhat happier 13.6%) but key is to hold your nerve in the dips, keep investing and don’t be tempted to sell, deal too frequently or try to ‘guess the market’.

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                    But the EU can't touch its pension pot.

Our state and public pension pot is nothing more than a future governments promise as Thatcher once pointed out.
                    Are you saying the EU can take money from member states' pension pots?
                    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
                    X