• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Breaking Into Finance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Breaking Into Finance

<quote>
    Here's something obtained by Dealbreaker allegedly sent out by the IBC Board to first-year students at Columbia Business School.
    'Break-out Sessions with Bankers - PLEASE READ CAREFULLY

Dear 1st years -

It has come to our attention that some of you have already managed to become notorious for their willingness to elbow their peers out of the circle around senior bankers and virtually attack the bankers with questions, thus preventing other students from networking and participating in the conversation.

This is never a good strategy and acting in a socially undesirable way runs a strong risk of branding you as undesirable not just to your classmates but also to recruiters. Once you feel that you have asked a couple of questions, and perhaps received a business card, do not monopolize the banker’s time by standing around awkwardly or asking additional questions. Let your classmates play as well. Furthermore, such behavior shows that you are aggressive and non-collegial, and therefore not a pleasant person to work 100-hour weeks with.

Bankers are very observant people. Moreover, it is much easier to remember somebody with a bad impression than with a good impression - do not smother the bankers with too many questions.

• If you see a classmate standing behind you, step aside and let them in the circle around the banker - it shows team work

• Ask a couple of questions and then move on or remain silent and let your classmates interact as well

• If there are 6-7 students around 1 banker, you do not want to ask more than one or two questions

• If there are 2-3 students you can ask a few more questions if you feel you are bonding well, but always be considerate toward your classmates - use your best judgment

• If you feel you have spend a good 15-20 minutes with one banker, it is ok to excuse yourself politely and ask for a business card

• If the banker has run out of business cards and you have one, offer to share with your classmates

• Remember that these events are also meant to screen for those who can one day win business from clients - treat the recruiters the way you would treat a multi-billion dollar client

• Do not monopolize recruiter’s time - especially the senior bankers. Talk to the junior bankers as well - they often are take the first stab at drafting invite only lists

• Do not be fake and superficial in your attempt to shine - bankers interact with tens of people on a daily basis and can easily spot fake from genuine behavior

• Do not overwhelm bankers with questions when they are taking a small break (i.e. chewing food) - remember they are also human beings and have had a very long day at work.

• Do not get drunk or gobble down food in front of bankers no matter how hungry and tired you are

• Do not be intimidated to let your personality shine - being stuck-up is never a good strategy - be pleasant, be fun, smile, and stay professional

Your aim at these sessions is not to compete with your classmates, but to impress the bankers. Be smart about it - this is not rocket science!

Use your social intelligence and best judgment. Be a team player. Be considerate to your peers. This will help not only you, but also the school, look professional and desirable.

Thank you and good luck.
    </quote>

How To Get A Job In An Investment Bank - A 1st Years Guide :: Business News :: Here Is The City News :: The Latest Business & Financial Markets News And Views

My favourite:

treat the recruiters the way you would treat a multi-billion dollar client

Comment

Deluded Aussie, do you work in the Finance sector yourself?

Comment

I've spent the last 12 months celebrating breaking out of finance. Best move I ever made.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
          I've spent the last 12 months celebrating breaking out of finance. Best move I ever made.
          Because you were a tester and get treated crappy - Yes I m in finance

Comment

Do not get drunk or gobble down food in front of bankers no matter how hungry and tired you are
            Save that for when you're in there..

Do not be intimidated to let your personality shine - being stuck-up is never a good strategy - be pleasant, be fun, smile, and stay professional
            No? tell that to the bankers!
            "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by DeludedAussie View Post
              Because you were a tester and get treated crappy - Yes I m in finance
              Do you have any Murex experience?

Comment

I read this and thought, what the frack is this merde? Then I spoted that it's from HereInTheCity and I thought, this is not like them. So I check the source and I find the rest of the article:

Reader Comment

'I read the above with interest, and it's clear that the 1st Year students at Columbia appear to be lacking in some perspective on bankers, so I thought it only right to give them my own insight into the breed and our industry:

1. Elbowing peers out of the way is probably a good practice, as if you are successful in gaining entry to our industry, you will find you will have to spend the rest of your career doing this if you want to get on.

2. Bankers are 'very observant people' - frankly, I hadn't noticed.

3. Do not be surprised if a banker has run out of business cards. He / she is probably interviewing for a new job and has been busy giving them out to recruiters and headhunters.

4. Do not be 'fake and superficial' - why not, most everyone else at your new firm will be ?!

5. 'Bankers interact with tens of people on a daily basis' - this may have been true before the financial crisis, but sadly is no longer the case (unless you count the verbal abuse we often getting from passersby when we are entering our building).

6. Do not 'overwhelm' bankers, especially when they are 'chewing food'. Well, as most bankers eat what they kill, and things have been pretty tough lately, you probably won't be seeing too many bankers with their mouths full. A more appropriate caution would be: 'Don't feed the animals!'.

And the whole thing makes a lot more sense.

For Frack Sake, DeludedAussie, you may or may not work in banking but you sure don't 'get it'.
                How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
                  I read this and thought, what the frack is this merde? Then I spoted that it's from HereInTheCity and I thought, this is not like them. So I check the source and I find the rest of the article:

And the whole thing makes a lot more sense.

For Frack Sake, DeludedAussie, you may or may not work in banking but you sure don't 'get it'.
                  It was light hearted joker

Comment

Originally posted by DeludedAussie View Post
                    It was light hearted joker
                    And you forgot the punch line.
                    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Working...
                    X